Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little money ($800-$1000) to play with before i go off to college and I want to get an upgrade or two that will make driving my car more enjoyable but not impractical. I was thinking about a new shifter and possibly gears. Any suggestions on what shifter to get? Is it hard to install? Would 3.73 gears be worth installing or would it just screw my mileage?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I LUV the Steeda Tri-Ax shifter, others like MGW and Pro 5.0 for our cars, ALL are WAY superior over stock and I'd do that first!
I'd pick up a used unlocked hand held (Predator,SCT) and have a custom tune made to import to your computer!
GET rid of your Cats and run an off road pipe!
And gears wake the car up, if you do mostly city driving 4.10-4.30's if your always on the highway 3.73's-4.10

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Cobras come stock with 3.27's a decent gear if you have a power adder but normally aspirated it takes awhile to tach out!

·
Registered
470 Posts
oh i see my bad i just thought it was a little steeper cause my friend has a 99 svt but its sc so it got up there real quick nothing like my neighbors 800 horse 70 skylark (purpose built 80,000 dollar drag car) lol;)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you said steeda tri ax shifter. How hard is it to install?

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I installed mine in 30 minutes the top 2 bolts are a littler hard to reach but it's an easy job, Get Cobra Bobs gasket set if you by one, don't use RTV, there's a chance gear noise will come up through the shifter handle!

·
Banned
12,436 Posts
I had a steeda tri ax, hated it..missed 3rd alot and throws are much longer than pro 5.0...costs more, but worth it...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.