Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stock 2001 mustang cobra gears

Alright guys, i have a 2001 cobra and i bought it with 4:10 gears in it. I am really thinking about switching back to stock gears or something fun on the highway...it is my daily driver and gets about 45 highway miles a day. i want to be able to go fast on the highway without the motor sounded like a piston is about to come through my hood...please give tips advice, etc...

thx,

evan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
01 Cobra, I need gears fit for highway i currently have 4:10's HELPPP

Alright guys, i have a 2001 cobra and i bought it with 4:10 gears in it. I am really thinking about switching back to stock gears or something fun on the highway...it is my daily driver and gets about 45 highway miles a day. i want to be able to go fast on the highway without the motor sounded like a piston is about to come through my hood...please give tips advice, etc...

thx,

evan

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright guys, i have a 2001 cobra and i bought it with 4:10 gears in it. I am really thinking about switching back to stock gears or something fun on the highway...it is my daily driver and gets about 45 highway miles a day. i want to be able to go fast on the highway without the motor sounded like a piston is about to come through my hood. My Last car was an 04 RX8 and it was a beast from thrid gear on the highway up to 160, i went to the cobra thinking it would be better but its only good from 0-80 then its turd with these gears please help help help..please give tips advice, etc...

thx,

evan

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
Stock gears was 3.27's. I would atleast bump down no lower than 3.55's. Your rpms will be a few hundred lower and still have some gearing to get you in your powerband when you need it.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
3073 will be fine still got the rippin power and good for highway and city

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thx

if i decide to go with 3:55's what is a good brand to go with...my brother in law said ford racing, but i have read online that ford racing sucks and they are very noisy..thanks!!:wavey

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Ford Racing 3.55's!! And noise occurs from a bad shim job by the installer!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I had 3.73s in my GT and loved them. such an acceleration boost from stock but still able to drive on the highway. Mine were ford racing and never had any problems or noise.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Now that I think of it you should be fine with those 4.10's especially if your staying normally aspirated. You have the Tremec 3650 Tranny with a generous overdrive 5th gear.

·
Registered
874 Posts
3:73's are great. I've had them on my 99 Cobra since I bought it. I take it on trips occasionally and I get 22-24mpg. Plus the torque is there too. FRPP is the bet gear set brand imop.

·
Banned
12,435 Posts
45 miles per day? You are looking at virtually no gain in mpg, unless the sound or something bothers you, I'd just leave them...my 1996 cobra loafs along at 2100 rpms at 70 in 5th, so unless you are bent on driving at 100 I flat out don't know why you would do it...

·
Registered
20 Posts
:scratchchin I have a set of stock gears out of my 2001 Cobra. They have less than 3K on them and look brand new. They are in the box. Let me know if you want them. I will sell them cheap.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have 4:10 motive gear in my 01,they were only $150,and i installed them my self very big job,i'm thinking of going to a 4:30 gear.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2001 Mustang Cobra

To the guy who started this messy thread. You have no idea what you are talking about!!! I have owned a 2001 Cobra since birth, with 4.10 gear and the car accelerates hard all the way to 165 miles per hour! At 60 mph, the rpm is 2200, which is calm. 5th gear is finally usable in this car! You are completely out of touch with your car, AND the car may have some issues. It is NOT the 4.10....that is the problem!!!
The 2001 Cobra was made for that ratio and runs calmly and not about to burst as you say. I run a Borla Stinger cat back and love the sound, windows up at 80 mph forever... Problem is, cops!!!
The car would cruise at 120 all day long with no issues.
You calling the car names is simply wrong!!! And a word of advice. Learn to use correct punctuation or no one will hire you!!! Grow up kid!!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts