Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend has a newer Lincoln Mark VIII that has the Cobra 4.6 in it, im not exactly sure of the year yet (assuming it is '00 - '03) but the transmission in his car went out and was thinking i might be able to get his car cheap because he wants to get rid of it so he can get a new car and i was wondering what all would be needed to put the Cobra engine into my 2001 GT Bullitt, would i need a different transmission or would my 5 speed work if anyone could kindly inform me of what all is needed that would be absolutely wonderful. Thanks in advance.

G

·
well, 1st off a MK8 was last built in 1998 and it is NOT a Cobra engine, they do share some of the same parts but there are a few differences in the crankshaft, camshafts, intake mainfold and more.... you'll need a new exhaust system, all the coolant hoses, thermostate and thermostat housing, air inlet tube asbly, intake mainfold and fuel tails, depending on what year it is, you may also need a different front timing chain cover, you can use your manual trans but you'll need a flywheel and thers prob a few other parts you'll need as well....it wont be a cheap swap

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
Leave the Bullitt engine alone. The torque curve on them is pretty fat for a stock 4.6. You can put ported heads, cams, and long tubes for cheaper than the swap your talking about and run circles around a stock n/a DOCH. The 2 valve is no slouch when built right. What is done to it now, lets talk.

·
Registered
2,827 Posts
Ima go with DOLLARBILL on this, i think you should just keep the 2v in the bullitt and and fix it up. The bullitt is a limited edition and may be a collector one day, and if ya did a engine swap, its jsut not the same car. And yes, for all the money you would put into the swap, you could put into the 2v and have a faster car, and probably more dependable too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Randy: The cobra engine in his mk8 is not the stock engine, it was swapped into his car.

I understand that the bullitt is a collectors car, and i figured if I was swapping out the 2v for the cobra engine I would keep the stock for later in case anything happened... Also I didn't think there was a whole lot of difference in the engines so i didnt know if i would need to swap out a whole lot of other parts along with the engine because I can get the cobra engine for extremely cheap because he just wants to get rid of the car and is a friend.

Other then that though, the car is currently fairly stock with the exception of a flowmaster exhaust and a drop in K&N filter which the previous owner had installed so i dont know exactly what it was that was put in.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.