Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi there i just bought cams for my 01 gt i am very existed to put them in who out there has also done this and what stage did you do?

·
Registered
425 Posts
When i had my GT i put the hitech stage 2 cams in it, they sounded great and made 292/288 with full exhaust and an auto tranny

·
Registered
599 Posts
When i had my GT i put the hitech stage 2 cams in it, they sounded great and made 292/288 with full exhaust and an auto tranny
So you did just the cams? didn't upgrade springs or even the heads? I am considering cams too and want to know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah if you look at the cam number the 270 is you need you replace the springs and trust me you do not want to its a pain in the ass! but yeah you can get a hitech stage 2 and it will be perfect dont get a comp stage 1 it will not be worth your time you will see maybe 20 rwhp and the comp cams stage 2 you need springs with so. an i really dont know about the other brands out there just stay away from the 270 ones ;D hope that helps a little

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
yeah if you look at the cam number the 270 is you need you replace the springs and trust me you do not want to its a pain in the ass! but yeah you can get a hitech stage 2 and it will be perfect dont get a comp stage 1 it will not be worth your time you will see maybe 20 rwhp and the comp cams stage 2 you need springs with so. an i really dont know about the other brands out there just stay away from the 270 ones ;D hope that helps a little
Dude, you have no idea what you are talking about... Whether you need springs or not is not entirely determined by the cam. The springs have a certain rate they operate at, and as the engine revs higher, the cams spin faster, and the springs have to contract and expand faster. When they come to a certain point the springs will no longer contract and expand quickly enough to fully close the valves which may result in catastrophic engine failure. The reason to upgrade springs is mainly if you plan on constantly doing high revs, like racing, so the valves will be able to operate as they are supposed to. The cams them selves usually have nothing to do with this, as the cam only determines when the intake and exhaust valve should open, how far they will open, and for how long they will stay open. Drag racers often choose double springs where the outer spring have a lower spring rate for correct operation in the lower power band and an inner spring with a higher spring rate to keep the valves opening and closing as they should. Higher spring rate on the valve springs will increase the load on the engine and give a parasitic effect, but this is minimal and very worth it compared to a catastrophic engine failure.

Also, 20 rwhp from a stage 1 cam is very optimistic. With the correct tuning, you might see a gain of up to 20-30 rwhp, but only if your car has never been tuned before. O/R mid-pipe, aftermarket cat-back, and intake, along with some nice stage 2 cams and a good tuning might gain you between 25-30rwhp. With an aftermarket throttle body and plenum you might see an additional few, but now you are reaching the very limits of what you can gain from our 4.6's without supercharging or turbocharging it. Some Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads and long tube headers will gain you a few extra ponies too, but you won't see any real gains from those mods unless you have F/I. With a high-flow intake manifold, CAI with a good breathing air filter, 75mm throttle body and matching plenum, heads, stage 2 cams with adjustable cam gears for optimal timing and tuning, long tube headers, 2.5" O/R mid-pipe, 2.5" cat-back with decent flowing mufflers or resonator, and a good tune running either 93 octane or race fuel you might see around 300 rwhp. A setup like this will cost way more than most of us can afford, and unless it is combined with F/I it will not be worth the money and effort put into it.

And just for the sake of sharing knowledge: With a stock engine block and stock pistons there is a chance a stage 2 cam will lift the valves too much causing them to hit the pistons and damage your engine. With the correct timing this can be avoided, but that timing might not be the optimal setting for performance. Many who decides to put stage 2 cams in a N/A car often do some internal engine work along with it.

I understand that the exact details and the numbers given here might not fully reflect actual facts; however, the general idea is the same, and the numbers given are pretty close to what people have reported gaining with said mods.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes all that can determine it i was just giving some basic facts i do know that the 270 and u will need cams for sure. and the stock intake on the 01-04 mustangs are fine. and of course if you have 130 rounds on ur car and want to puts cams in it prob in ur best bet to do springs also.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you do go with the hitech stage 2s MAKE SURE you have them degreed. They were not degreed at first in my old car and it hit a piston but thankfully did not damage it. Also i wouldnt rev it past 6200.

·
Registered
425 Posts
So you did just the cams? didn't upgrade springs or even the heads? I am considering cams too and want to know.
No you dont have to have springs for those cams if it is done right and you don't over rev the engine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts