Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking into chips, clutch kits, and mid-pipes. Debating between SCT/Diablo and also Venom. Don't know much about the clutch. I was considering a Bassani catted x-pipe. All suggestions are much appreciated, thank you in advance.

·
Registered
266 Posts
your choice of mid-pipe depends on many factors, if you have, or plan on getting long tube headers, then you should get a shorty midpipe. other wise get a normal sized one. Bassani makes some of the best midpipes out there so your choice is great.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
Here's my advice on tuners, and this is the best advice you will ever get about Mustang tuners:

Ask the other Mustang guys in your area who the best custom tuner is around your area. Find out what kind of equipment his software supports, usually it'll be SCT, but double-check. Then buy whatever he supports, that way when you get serious and need a custom tune done, you already have the equipment he supports and won't have to rebuy something.

As far as clutches, it all depends on how much power you're making. Don't buy too much clutch for the car, because it'll make the car hard to drive and will wear prematurely. If you're not making over say 300rwhp, my favorite for the price would be the FRPP King Cobra. Mine has 60k miles on it or more, 100 dragstrip launches, multiple autocross events, and is still going strong. Upgrade the crappy plastic factory quadrant and get a firewall adjuster at the same time, trust me on that one.

Mid-pipes are one of those things where you're going to find more good and bad info than you ever want, and it'll confuse you. My personal opinion is to stay away from midpipes that use a stamped X like the BBK and Magnaflow. They add a lot of raspiness compared to a True X pipe made of piping like the Bassani or UPR.

If you want to add a catted midpipe, you're on the right track with the Bassani, it's a really nice piece. If you want to save some coin, look at the UPR catted X, it fits great, it's just not stainless steel like the Bassani. Living in NY, you may want the Stainless steel though to help combat rust. Another option to look at is the MRT Catted H-Pipe. It's stainless steel, and is probably the best quality I've seen in a mid-pipe. I installed one a couple weeks ago, and it was beautiful. You also get that muscular H Pipe sounds instead of the raspy X pipe sound. I wish I would have spent the extra money and gotten that one instead of my current POS H-Pipe.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
definitely, you would be well under the max torque capability of the King Cobra.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Where could I get the firewall adjuster and what would it do for me?
For the X pipe I would get a Bassani X pipe or Magnaflow X pipe.
I have a Magnaflow X pipe and the quality of it is excellent all
stainless steel.Definitley get yourself a tuner like the SCT Xcal 2/3.
For the clutch I'd definitley get a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
with matching flywheel.I have a Centerforce and I love it.
Although I would avoid the Spec clutches like the plauge,My old
Spec stage 2 clutch failed in 5K miles of normal use.Spec makes
inferior clutches that don't last.Don't purchase a Spec clutches whatever you do get a Centerforce clutch.The King Cobra clutches
are ok but,they have a stiff clutch petal alot like my Spec stage 2
clutch that was stiff as a board.Get a aftermarket quadrant and
firewall adjuster.I have a UPR quadrant and firewall adjuster and
it works excellent with my Centerforce clutch I have.Definitley use
a stock OEM Ford clutch cable as they are the strongest.
I got my UPR quadrant and firewall adjuster from here.
UPR Clutch Cable, FIrewall Adjuster & Triple Quadrant for 96-04 Mustangs

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
For the X pipe I would get a Bassani X pipe or Magnaflow X pipe.
I have a Magnaflow X pipe and the quality of it is excellent all
stainless steel.Definitley get yourself a tuner like the SCT Xcal 2/3.
For the clutch I'd definitley get a Centerforce Dual Friction clutch
with matching flywheel.I have a Centerforce and I love it.
Although I would avoid the Spec clutches like the plauge,My old
Spec stage 2 clutch failed in 5K miles of normal use.Spec makes
inferior clutches that don't last.Don't purchase a Spec clutches whatever you do get a Centerforce clutch.The King Cobra clutches
are ok but,they have a stiff clutch petal alot like my Spec stage 2
clutch that was stiff as a board.Get a aftermarket quadrant and
firewall adjuster.I have a UPR quadrant and firewall adjuster and
it works excellent with my Centerforce clutch I have.Definitley use
a stock OEM Ford clutch cable as they are the strongest.
I got my UPR quadrant and firewall adjuster from here.
UPR Clutch Cable, FIrewall Adjuster & Triple Quadrant for 96-04 Mustangs
Don't listen to this crap. The King Cobra is not stiff, there's nothing wrong with SPEC clutches. Don't believe everything you read on the internet at face value and do your own research. Centerforce is not the holy grail of clutches, and are known to fail just as much as any other clutch, especially the Dual Force, which has a habit of spitting the weights off the pressure plate.

Some stuff is valid. Bassani X is nice. Stock OEM cable is the best, and the new UPR quadrant is pretty nice, I have one in my car.

Especially check out this guy's previous posts before you listen to his advice.

·
Banned
335 Posts
Don't listen to this crap. The King Cobra is not stiff, there's nothing wrong with SPEC clutches. Don't believe everything you read on the internet at face value and do your own research. Centerforce is not the holy grail of clutches, and are known to fail just as much as any other clutch, especially the Dual Force, which has a habit of spitting the weights off the pressure plate.

Some stuff is valid. Bassani X is nice. Stock OEM cable is the best, and the new UPR quadrant is pretty nice, I have one in my car.

Especially check out this guy's previous posts before you listen to his advice.
I wish you and MeanChad would stop trolling the board looking for
me and trying to ruin my reputation just you have a vandeta against
me or something.I give excellent advice here and I've been into
Ford Mustangs longer than you most likely.
As my Spec clutches my Spec clutch failed because Spec products
are quite inferior and they fail my transmission shop proved it to me.
I love my new Centerforce clutch it has held up great so far.
You are the first person I ever seen in my life complain about Centerforce clutches.Centerforce clutches are one of the most
reliable and dependable clutches on the market today.
Spec clutches on the other hand are notorious for catastrophicly
failing like my Spec stage 2 clutch did.The Spec clutches are well
known for broken dampaning springs and rivets.I find more people
that have problems with their Spec clutches than any other clutch on the
market today.
The King Cobra clutches are stiff as a board and I disliked the clutch
petal feel just as much as my Spec clutch.Stop posting these biased
posts Bullitt.

·
Registered
7,401 Posts
You're a funny guy. I owned a Mustang while you were in Elementary school, so I would make sure I knew who I was talking to before I opened my trap.

Look at my previous posts, and look at yours. It's apparent I have no clue what I'm talking about..........:rollgrin:

I have built and owned a low 11 second 4.6 2V Mustang in the past few years. I own a road racing/autocross 4.6 2V Mustang right now. I have torn into, rebuilt, upgraded, broken and fixed more on the 2V Mustang than ANYONE else on AFM. I have no doubt about that one bit.

As far as your advice? There may be sprinkles of valid advice in there, but most of your posts are just bashing SPEC and American Muscle, and that's it. Where's any good technical advice you've posted? Go look through the stickies and read how much I've contributed to this board and the knowledge on here.

Did you read the other thread where I posted all the links to Centerforce Clutch failures? Apparently not, since you're still on that subject. Give it a rest. Every manufacturer out there has made something that has broken. Every one. Does that mean just because you had a bad experience it makes the whole company crap? I don't think so. People don't post when things work great, google will only show you when someone's pissed off. If you were a part of the huge Mustang community that I am, you would see that there's a majority of users that use SPEC clutches, and have replaced worn out SPEC clutches with other SPEC clutches. That's a sign that they have been great for a majority of the guys that use them.

Lastly, I spend a lot of time around Mustangs. I am a member of a local Mustang club that has over 200 members, and we get together often and have our own forum as well. One of my best friends owns a Mustang performance shop, and we have many conversations, and I go in there and help him out when he has 2V stuff he needs done, and isn't quite sure. I live 10 minutes from Holcomb Motorsports, one of the largest Mustang race parts suppliers in the U.S. I live within easy driving distance of 3 of the best tuners on the East Coast and know them all personally, and talk to them at least once a month or so. Whenever I have a question about tuning, I can give them a call and they'll help me out right then. Guys like Randy Haywood, Dan from ProDyno and the guys from Fastlane Motorsports (google them) are right down the street from me, and I've been dealing with them for years.

When I lived in TX, I was hanging out with the Pioneers of the 4.6 2V engine. Guys like Johnny Langton and Kris Danner taught me what I needed to know to make a fast 2V back in the day. I was a member of Modular Depot when Ken ran 10's with a naturally aspirated 2V engine, and can still call Ken if I need help. I was around the Corral when guys who are now huge stars in the drag racing world were just getting started and actually used to post and give tech advice.

Just the thought that you "think" you've been around Mustangs longer than I have is laughable at best.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.