Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 GT 5 speed with basic bolt ons. I've been having trouble hoooking up in the first couple of gears on stock tires. Any suggestions on pulling out with as little spin as possible?

·
Registered
786 Posts
Let some air out and play with the tire pressure's on the days that you are going to "play" that should help some. Do you have a posi?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ill try to play with the tire pressur...yeah, i have the posi track button but if i leave posi on it takes some power away from the motor if the tires every loose traction.
I am planning on putting wider tires and deep dish wheels on this summer that should help a little.

·
Registered
786 Posts
NOOOOOO NOOOOOO there is no such thing as a posi track button, unless you have lots of money into it, there are actualy remote air "locking" differentials, but what you are talking about is "traction control" which is a totaly different thing. That is a computer controled gismo that senses the wheels spinning and cuts power and....anyway Do both wheels spin when you loose traction, or just the passenger rear?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK i do have the traction contoll but when it is on the rear passenger tire is the only one that spins so i quess i don't have posi. Sorry, Im kind of new to the modular world.

·
Registered
786 Posts
So that answers your questions though, if you want to hook up better, buy a traction loc diff (around $195) and have it installed (beteen $300-$500 most places) and you will "hook" Way better investment than wider wheels/tires at first. The wide stickies can come later after you get both wheels spinnin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I can get both wheels spinning if i just turn off the traction controll.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
OK man I'm gonna lay it out for you here. When you race you should have the TC off. The TC applies the brake to stop the tires from spinning. You don't want to have any kind of brakes on when your trying to race. Now when you have the TC off (light will be on) and you stab the gas, what happens? If only 1 tire spins then your differentail needs rebuilt as all GTs have the traction lock(or posi) rear end. If both tires will spin then your ok there you are just giving it too much gas. On street tires you need to kind of squeeze the throttle to keep the tires hooked. I like to drop it or slip it at about 1500-2000 rpm. When it starts to stop spinning start the squeeze as traction allows. It takes practice for sure. Expect at least a 2.2 second 60' time. I've been able to pull some 2.0s before but the track was preped really good. I never bothered messing with the tire pressure on regular tires, you also only need a small burnout. Count 1 thousand 1, 1 thousand 2 and your done. Absolutely no water box for street tires, you will get them too hot and they won't hook at all. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Get some softer compound tires as well.

If you go the traction lock route, make sure a 4 oz. bottle of friction modifier is added to the diff fluid, or you will be re-visiting the shop later on down the road.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Auburn pro is the way to go! My diff gave me the one wheel ordeal after about 90 thousand miles and replaced it with that. also change your upper and lower control arms. I just did it to my car and it can keep up with all wheel drive out of the dig.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
try lowering tire psi to about 15, and invest in some good upr/lwr control arms also follow the launching methods bill is saying

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just spend 300 bucks n get some nitto drag radials. U will be fine

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.