Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so here the scoop....I just picked up a 01 GT Convertible, and I have noticed two things that have me a little worried. But fixing them up is half the fun. On that note I am just learning here, so if my questions are moronic pleas excuse me.

First, when I parked it in the garage over night, in the morning there was a strong oder of gasoline. Not to mention earlier in the day, I got the CIS light. Hooked it up to the computer gave me something about emmisions. I had just put gas in, so my I checked the fuel cap, reset the computer, and the light has not come back. Could an exaust leak cause this ? Anyone info would be great.....

Second, my rear suspension (i think) is making noises. When I drive I can hear it clear as day, and when I hit a bump on these lovely TX. roads I really here it. It a real high pitch noise like someting is loose....What should I check for ?

Any help would be great, this is a new game for me so any suggestions would be great. Thanks a million in advance

·
Registered
225 Posts
For the gas leak you might want to check where the filler neck goes into the fuel tank. There is a rubber grommet that could be bad or going bad. That seems to be a week spot on New Edge mustangs.

As for the sound your hearing I would advise you to put the car on jack stands and craw under there and look around just to be safe.

Most of the times if you hear a constant screeching noise it is time to rebuild the rear end. Now if it is just a jingling noise it could be something simple like the muffler mount is loose.

·
Registered
29 Posts
emissions

Hey I may have an answer to your gas problems. This has not hapened on my mustang, but on another car, a cylinder was and is on yours probably miss firing or not firing at all, therefore letting gas flow through the system and out the exhaust. However, what caused it on mine was a leaking head gasket letting water into the head from that cylinder. You should check your spark plugs.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
First, when I parked it in the garage over night, in the morning there was a strong oder of gasoline. Not to mention earlier in the day, I got the CIS light. Hooked it up to the computer gave me something about emmisions. I had just put gas in, so my I checked the fuel cap, reset the computer, and the light has not come back. Could an exaust leak cause this ?
Did you also have a gas smell inside the car? When I "top off" my 2000 GT, since I bought it with 24,xxx miles on it, it has ALWAYS smelled of gas when I fill to the top of the tank. No fuel has ever leaked out of the filler or tank and the smell is inside the car too. I drive the car about 15 miles and the smell goes away.

If you are not losing power, I would keep an eye on it and see if it shows up each time you fill. I have never found out what does it on mine. I think there is a safety valve or relief somewhere on the fuel system, that is the only thing that makes sense to me.

I would lift the car and look underneath for worn brakes, warped rotor or a loose suspension component. To diagnosis it further, more information is needed. :bigthumbsup

P

·
0 Posts
i buddy of mine parked his 5 liter in my garage overnite last year and the next day the garage smelled of fuel. turned out to be a leaking fuel injector seal.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys.........The fuel injector seals are plastic right ?? Can those be upgraded ?

P

·
0 Posts
i think they are a rubber material. you should be able to get em at any parts place.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
The injector seals are a good place to start, and check over the whole fuel system for leaks, especially near the tank and fuel filter.
The noise sounds like it could be a number of things, start by checking out the exhaust hangers and isolators. If they're ok, look at the bushings in the suspension and the tranny mount. A good way to try to isolate a suspension noise is with the car on the ground push down on the car right above each wheel, one at a time, and see if you can pinpoint it as far as which wheel, then pull the wheel and check out everything from there.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the help fellas.....turns out the suspension is good....I had some loose hangers on the exhaust.....As for the smell, I will check injectors and work my way down. I noticed I when I fill up my tank that smell is real strong.....Possible exhaust leak ?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.