Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Havent been on here in awhile. Picked up a Black 01 Saleen Clone. ( GT with Saleen body kit ) Automatic trans, stock other than flowmasters.

Engine and trans were replaced by Ford approx 2,500 miles ago.

The Car has a vibration. it vibrates when in park and while going down the road. The car vibrates with the rpm of the engine. At certain rpms the vibration settles down but then comes right back.

Any help here?????? plus I went out to the local dragstrip and my BEST time was a 16.41. Which is horrible. no spinning or launching problems just bad numbers. Any help would be appreciated.

Could it be the Harmonic balancer. I thought it was the torque converter but it vibrates in park???????????????????????

·
Registered
5,089 Posts
What was your 60' time?

could be bad motor mounts, bad tranny mount or bad u joints or bad drive shaft. I would check all of those first.

S

·
0 Posts
Welcome to AFM! Did you get it from a private seller or from a dealership? Just curious as if you got it from a dealership and they were the ones that did the work I would start with them first. Did it do this when you first bought it?

·
Registered
41,829 Posts
Welcome back to the site. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks for the warm welcome everybody. 60' time was 2.53
I bought the car from an individual. would bad u-joints/driveshaft make the thing vibrate in park????

S

·
0 Posts
It's possible... have you checked it out running with the hood open? Maybe stab the throttle a few times and see if there's excessive play in the mounts? It seems like something else is causing the vibration though since you're having performance issues as well. Does it feel like it's bogging or surging at all?:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
kinda seems dead at take off and doesnt wake up really until 3k and up. Doesnt missfire or anything just sluggish till 3k. I think it might be the harmonic balancer but am not too sure. I thought it might be the torque converter but it shakes in park. Ive checked transmount, exhaust system, u-joints etc... still cant pinpoint the issue. Ill check the motor mounts as well. but a bad motor mount wouldnt make the car have sluggish performance.

·
Registered
196 Posts
let me know if u solve this vibration issue im curious to know the cause because thats why i sold my 01 GT because it vibrated violently at all rpm's, park, neutral, everything even with new trans & engine mounts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well after changing out motor mounts, trans mounts, checked everything i possibly could, took it down to the local Ford store. They diagnosed: Bad torque converter.
Payed them a hundred dollar diagnostic fee. started getting trans out on friday night and 1/2 of saturday, got it put in today.everything went according to plan.

Except now i think i may have bumped a sensor of some sort. I adjusted my linkage the way its supposed to be adjusted. turned key to start, nothing. Checked all my plugs and connections and cleaned them with electrical cleaner. still nothing. I crossed over the starter solenoid, fired right up and purrs like a kitten. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
torque converter fixed the vibration. and bad Transmission range sensor.replaced. Good as new for now. :)

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
glad you got it all figured out! :bigthumbsup

1 - 12 of 12 Posts