Ford Mustang Forum banner

2001 mustang gt stumbles and dies when started

766 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Jar3dmcd 
#1 ·
Guys i need some help on this....so i try to start it and it turns over and revs up like normal when u usually start it but then it just dies immediatly. however, when it starts up i can hit the gas and rev it and keep it going. whats going on with this? i tried the battery connections and stuff thinking it might be that because its been a little odd on that recently and thats not it, and ive tried starting it at least 100 times (literally, no exageration) so id think that if it was something in the system that would get worked out eventually it would be out already. please help all you mechanics out there!
Thanks!

#2 ·
If it continues to run by holding the throttle open, think IAC problem (idle air controller).

Before replacing ANY parts, look for vacuum leaks.

Clean the MAF. Use only a product designed for the job.

Check all fuses. Especially fuse F2.2 and F2.8 in the CJB.

Confirm there is +12 volts on the IAC red wire with the key on.

Review the following thread for more information.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/foru...-dieing-idle-idling-rough-14.html#post2260649

Did I say look for a vacuum leak? Don't cut corners here. PVC valve (replace), PVC grommet, PVC lines, air breater lines, oil dip stick, oil cap, valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, intake tube. Anyplace unmetered air can enter.

If you still can't find anything wrong, replace the IAC.

#3 ·
Thanks man! i checked everything but all the vaccum hoses and such were fine and there were no problems in voltage or the MAF. So i slapped a new iac valve on it and it runs perfectly again! very sorry for the post also, i found the sticky on it right after i posted and couldnt figure out how to delete this thread :head_shot:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.