Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The plastic cover inside the passenger side compartment houses the heater core and also the a/c drain. My question is, is there enough clearance between the bottom of the plastic cover and the bottom of the heater core to drill a hole and screw in a brass fitting to attach a new a/c drain hose? Due to an exhaust leak, the original plastic drain was melted and there is not enough room between the firewall and the back of the motor to clear it out. I routed a steel flex hose through the firewall and to the bottom of the plastic cover but I don't want to drill a hole and end up drilling a hole in the heater core. With the brass fitting I want to use, I would need about 1/2" clearance.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I have replaced a heater core before. There is actually a large void where the AC drains. If my memory serves me, the heater core is above the AC core.

So I wouldn't push a 6" drill through the plastic, there isn't anything just on the other side.

However, the bottom is sloped towards the drain. If a new drain is installed anywhere else, it will not drain all of the water.

There isn't a way to re-drill the original drain hole?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
i just got done removing all that replacing the a/c evaporator. its a pita. you might can squeeze something in there without having to remove anything but i really doubt it. you can always try. but if you cant, its time fto start removing that dashboard. like i said, pita.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have replaced a heater core before. There is actually a large void where the AC drains. If my memory serves me, the heater core is above the AC core.

So I wouldn't push a 6" drill through the plastic, there isn't anything just on the other side.

However, the bottom is sloped towards the drain. If a new drain is installed anywhere else, it will not drain all of the water.

There isn't a way to re-drill the original drain hole?
I wish I could get to it to drill it out but I'm trying to remedy this without removing the whole dash and evacuating the a/c and all that.
Thought about breaking the right motor mount and seeing if that would give me enough room but I think making a new drain would be a lot easier plus the way I plan on mounting the new drain, it will make it easier to clear the drain if it ever gets plugged. I appreciate your input.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A/C drain blocked '01 Mustang UPDATE

Well, after all the hassles of the original drain melting and all that, I re-routed the drain (actually added a replacement drain). It was a little pita but not real bad. If anyone is interested, I can post some pictures of what I did and how I did it. Thanks wmburns for the info about the clearance...you were right. The was plenty of room to drill a 3/8" hole for the water drain without hitting anything inside, plenty of room.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Follow up to A/C drain issue

After making and installing my own drain to by-pass the '01 factory drain, I'm glad to report in works perfect and the way I routed the brass nipple through the firewall, it no longer drops the water on the exhaust. In stead it drains between the exhaust and the frame and runs straight to the ground...YAY! Wish to thank those guys on Mustang Forum that helped me figure this out with their advice. Appreciate that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts