Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone assist. I have a banging noise coming from under the vehicle somewhere only when turning left or right at slow speed and ONLY with the clutch depressed. I have a video trying to capture the noise you can hear its quite loud towards the end of the video. Ill bring it to work tomorrow and put it on the hoist to see if there is anything obvious, any suggestions. Rear end has never been touched stock gears also.

77,000 kilometers.

2001 Mustang Knocking? - YouTube

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
Check the fluid in the rear and the u joints, otherwise might be in the trans/clutch

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Had it on the hoist today and sounds like its coming from inside the diff. When spinning the rear wheels you can hear that there is drivetrain slop and sounds like its coming from inside the diff. Just odd how it will only do it at slow speeds. U-Joints are all okay.

·
Registered
5,329 Posts
It probably does it at all speeds, but can be harder to hear and the rhythm of it gets to be so fast it can sound more like a hum. Sounds like you'll have to pull the diff cover and inspect. I would probably plan on needing new bearings and seals regardless of whatever else you find in there.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Havent fixed this yet, not 100% sure what is causing this awful noise.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Okay just pulled cover off and did a very close inspection. Can't see anything wrong with it all bolts are tight. I'm thinking it might be the Traclok. So when going around corners the clutches are locking, then un locking causing the knocking noise. Had someone hold on tire as I spun the other by hand and watched spider gears everything turns out okay. Just bought some new fluid and friction modifier. Will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some pictures for giggles.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well looks like old fluid was my problem. Added ford racing differential additive and Lucus 75W140 noise is now gone and driveline slop is much quieter. Had my cover polished by a buddy took him 1 hour, while that was being done hit the rear axle with some black paint. No one car see it from behind but when it's up in the air it's definitely a wow factor. :rollgrin:

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
facepalm.gif

Noise came back today pulling into my parking spot at work.....

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Sounds like the clutches in the trac loc might have had it. AM sells the rebuild kit and it's not a hard job to do. Probably be a good time to do gears also if you ever considered it and have the cash. Remember the rebuild kit also.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts