Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 3.8L v6 with 87k miles and the check engine light came on and I found the following codes (per auto zone):

P1285 & P1299 both of which refer to a cylinder head temperature issue. The car's temp. guage is showing to be well below the halfway point. Is this a sensor issue or what should I do to make sure that I correct this issue?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
P1285 & P1299 are cyl head over temp on both banks.

it's very unlikely that you blew both head gaskets, so check coolant level, if low top up & check for leaks.

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Thanks. I'll have them check that out tomorrow. Do both codes come from the same sensor?
no, there's a cyl head temp sensor in each head, since you threw both codes you're looking for a problem that affects cooling to both heads, such as a failing water pump, low coolant, or air bubbles.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If it is the water pump, how difficult is that to replace? I have read on line where it is driven by the timing belt and can be a lot more difficult than the typical water pump installation. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
If it is the water pump, how difficult is that to replace? I have read on line where it is driven by the timing belt and can be a lot more difficult than the typical water pump installation. Any thoughts?
we have a timing chain, not a belt; and besides, our water pumps are driven by the drive belt.

G

·
Yes, our cars use a main drive belt, "serpentine," to power the accessories. You don't have to worry about the timing chain.
The water pump should not be hard to change out.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.