Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be a dumb question, but I'm sure someone can help. Im about to do my rear brakes(rotors & pads). Do the calipers need to be pushed back in or screwed in for the new pads to fit? Thanks for the quick help.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I have an 04, but the 01 should be the same. The rear pads need to be pushed/screwed back in. You should rent the tool for this at the auto store. Also when you turn it, make sure you turn it to the right position so that when you place the new pad in, the little peg on the pad aligns with the piston.

Also, if you are taking off the rotors, you might need to disconnect the parking brake setup on the passenger side. I didn't know it comes off at first so I ended up barely getting a bolt out and it took forever.

·
Registered
38 Posts
They need to be screwed back in the piston should have an x shape cut in it you can use needle nose pliers or rent the specialty tool from auto zone if it gives you problems.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the help. I'll probably just try needle nose first, and if that doesn't work, I'll rent the tool.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts