Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has a manual 2001 mustang v6 and when its shifted into neutral it revs to about 4k until the car stops. im thinking it might be the computer. any ideas?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
didnt think of that. but that sounds about right.... i think she got her clutch got changed not too long ago. you think maybe the clutch is just adjusted too tight?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
didnt think of that. but that sounds about right.... i think she got her clutch got changed not too long ago. you think maybe the clutch is just adjusted too tight?
unsure, I would be able to tell a lot better visually. That's why I recommend you take it to a shop just for an inspection and go from there.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea. thanks for the help. ill check it out. if i cant fix it ive got a couple friends that are pretty good mechanics. and if they cant ill take it to the shop. not exactly rich so taking it to the shop is a last resort thing

·
Registered
824 Posts
unsure, I would be able to tell a lot better visually. That's why I recommend you take it to a shop just for an inspection and go from there.
hey you back or what?

·
Registered
597 Posts
The IAC (Idle Air Control) solenoid is sticking at times, sometimes simply removing it and hitting it with carb spray helps it work better. But usually replacement is the only long term fix. Could also have a vacuum leak, but that usually doesn't cause such a high idle. To verify its the IAC, when it acts up lightly hit the solenoid with a hammer. This allows the pintle to move back to the correct postion and restore the correct idle speed.

·
Registered
288 Posts
It just shoots up to 4,000 RPMs immediatly when you go into neutral?

·
Registered
22 Posts
The IAC (Idle Air Control) solenoid is sticking at times, sometimes simply removing it and hitting it with carb spray helps it work better. But usually replacement is the only long term fix. Could also have a vacuum leak, but that usually doesn't cause such a high idle. To verify its the IAC, when it acts up lightly hit the solenoid with a hammer. This allows the pintle to move back to the correct postion and restore the correct idle speed.

i agree, however if its doing that alreadyreving high like that the internal spring is shot. i dont think hitting it will do anything. or else a TPS sensor....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It just shoots up to 4,000 RPMs immediatly when you go into neutral?
yea, there was a lot of slack in the throttle cable so i fixed that but it wasnt the problem.

my sister doesnt have the owners manual so i cant find the idle control. and i dont think its sticking because i can be at 1500 rpms and it will still rev up.

·
Registered
597 Posts
i agree, however if its doing that alreadyreving high like that the internal spring is shot. i dont think hitting it will do anything. or else a TPS sensor....
Trust me working at dealership I've smacked alot of IACs in various vehicles and it does work 75% of the time. Its not the spring but the rod that the pintle is on that causes the problem, thats why hitting it dislodges the rod and returns the idle to normal. If the TP sensor was faulty a code would probably be set and acceleration could also be affected. But by the same token the IAC sticking could set a engine overspeed at idle code, but that usually only happens with auto trans cars.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Trust me working at dealership I've smacked alot of IACs in various vehicles and it does work 75% of the time. Its not the spring but the rod that the pintle is on that causes the problem, thats why hitting it dislodges the rod and returns the idle to normal. If the TP sensor was faulty a code would probably be set and acceleration could also be affected. But by the same token the IAC sticking could set a engine overspeed at idle code, but that usually only happens with auto trans cars.

intresting!! didn't know smacking it could do anything... FYI to me....

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.