Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, a little history about this mustang...

2005, bought from a dealer in Texas, brought back to Northern states
2006, winter, starts to run rough on occasion. Will eventually straighten itself out.
2007-2008 begins having trouble starting on occasion. will turn over just fine.
2009 increasing problems starting. replaced fuel pump, fuel filter. replaced battery when that got weak. Starting problems stopped for the most part
2010 replaced spark plugs, spark plug wires. had an occasional difficult start, increasing in the winter
2011 will not start after work today...

This has seemed to generally be the same on going problem. I've cleaned the sensor in in front of the air filter and that hasn't changed anything. I can hear the fuel pump click on when I turn the key. Spraying starter fluid into the air intake will make the engine start just fine and it will run until that runs out. I tried doing that several times, letting the engine idle, revving the engine to 2k, revving the engine when it sounds about ready to stop. None of that works.

When we replaced the fuel pump, the only code was a minor emissions leak. Any ideas on what direction I should start with?

:waveyHi, I'm new here. Nice forum :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
welcome to the party uhhh i mean AFM :D
:welcomewagon: :party

i myself don't really know anything about how to fix this problem but am glad to welcome newcomers to the forum, there are many people here that have great advice on almost any subject you can come up with :bigthumbsup

maybe fuel filter got clogged again, cheap gas usually has a lot of trash, hurt my fourwheeler that way, sorry for editing this for the third time lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey welcome!

Have you checked/replaced your EGR? 'Coz that "might" be the problem. Not 100% sure but it's worth a check. And that's part of the emission.

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
EGR has got nothing to do with idle or even fuel which is obviously the problem if it runs on just starter fluid but not without it.

i have a similar issue when it gets cold out it really doesnt want to start i have to turn the key on so i guess the pump primes the lines then i turn it off then on again and it will usually start after that.

somethin to do that might tell us something about whats going on is hooking up a pressure gauge and finding out the pressure at the fuel rail with key on engine off, while starting, and when you get it running, what its doing at idle. i think those might help us

·
Registered
71 Posts
EGR has got nothing to do with idle or even fuel which is obviously the problem if it runs on just starter fluid but not without it.
Oh, ok. I thought EGR has something to do with his problem 'coz he mentioned emission. I know a faulty EGR will affect the idle, etc.

Anyway, keep us posted if you fixed the problem you're having. This thread is gonna be useful for someone searching for answers with that same problem. Goodluck! :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
6,109 Posts
FPDM? i dont think thats the technical term for it.. if im not mistaken you're talking about the CCRM or constant control relay module which controls the fuel pump, fan and powers the PCM.. be sure to check that the inertia switch hasnt tripped and any wiring to and from it is intact

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FPDM is the name printed right on the part, but replacing it didn't work. Going to let a local shop have a whack at it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts