Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tom Morana Racing Engines
How exactly does a throttle body supercharger like this work? im looking to get one on my 2001 v6 3.8L mustang and i want to know everything before i even think about buy it. any information would be greatly appreciated!

R

·
0 Posts
That only works for 88-98 single port 3.8L's.
All that is an adapter to mount a new TB onto a M90 supercharger that was usually found on Thunderbird Supercoupes.

·
Registered
117 Posts
it looks good but i dont think you'll get any major power increase for just 150$
if its true then i would instantly buy it but its too good to be true
+ they didnt mention any HP ratings !!
i have a 95 v6 mustang and i'm looking for any cheap power
bottom line : DONT BUY IT

R

·
0 Posts
it looks good but i dont think you'll get any major power increase for just 150$
if its true then i would instantly buy it but its too good to be true
+ they didnt mention any HP ratings !!
i have a 95 v6 mustang and i'm looking for any cheap power
bottom line : DONT BUY IT
There is no such things as cheap horsepower. You have to pay to play and it is an expensive game.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
dont know exactly what you're talking about.. link?

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Morana is a very well respected seller and 3.8L engine builder.
THat's what it seems like from what I see on the forums... but his "inventions" on his website tell a different story. They look like something a tweeker came up with..... several M90 inventions with the inlet and outlet reversed, I could go on about his other inventions for example his m112 adapters.

Show me one thread where someone is successfully running one of these.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Tom Morana Racing Engines
How exactly does a throttle body supercharger like this work? im looking to get one on my 2001 v6 3.8L mustang and i want to know everything before i even think about buy it. any information would be greatly appreciated!
THis "product" is a joke! It is a single port supercoupe intake with an adapter to adapt a stock 96-98 GT throttle body to the OUTPUT of a stock supercoupe m90 blower :confused:. Then the INLET of the blower in plumbed into the intake :confused:. BACKWARDS! This is some junk he got at the junkyard and cobbled together.

I do not believe the rotors in this blower will even make boost in reverse if you spin it in reverse. Even if by some miracle it did, you would need a smooth pulley (like your waterpump) so good luck getting it to not slip at anything over 1.5psi.

RED FLAG - Wonder why this is not installed on a running engine in the pic? Or any of his other gems? Where is someone on the forums or youtube running any of these?

The single port intake won't even fit your heads. Not to mention if you are familiar with the supercoupe serpentine setup, it is very complex with 3 belts and a strange pulley system to make the blower belt actually the INNER most belt sneaking in between all the accessories.

After seeing these... I would never buy ANYTHING from him.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I'm smelling a troll here... :nono:
Dude, I've been modding SN95 mustangs for half the time you've been alive sonny boy. Look me up at the corral under the same username. I joined over there when you were 11. lol

I'm all for creativity. I have pictures saved of about 10 different FUNCTIONAL DIY Eaton setups on various vehicles. I'm in the middle of planning one myself.

Have you ever seen a supercoupe serpentine in person? The blower belt is INBOARD of the serpentine. It's not like a vortech where the blower belt is outside the serpentine and you can fab a tensioner that is extended out. It's hard to explain, but basically since this intake is a stock supercoupe intake, with the placement of the pulley, the ONLY way this Morana blower/intake would work would be to use the COMPLETE supercoupe front dress, accessories and brackets, balancer, crank pulley etc.. Did you consider the fact that the supercoupe uses a specific fuel rail? There's not a million of those laying around like the mustang rails.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
an m90 is a roots style supercharger is it not? in that case it most definitely can pump air in reverse order.. its just a simple air pump.. just have to get the pulley to go the opposite way.. which can be done not necessarily just by running the belt over it with a flat pulley.. not sure how he does it though so i can't be sure..

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
an m90 is a roots style supercharger is it not? in that case it most definitely can pump air in reverse order.. its just a simple air pump.. just have to get the pulley to go the opposite way.. which can be done not necessarily just by running the belt over it with a flat pulley.. not sure how he does it though so i can't be sure..
Just change your firing order so the engine runs in reverse :kooky:

If this is legit I'd be very interested in knowing how the heck it is..... ...... I would be SHOCKED to see this setup up and running. He's trying to sell the damn thing and the only pic he has it it sitting on a bench & almost zero info on it. Seriously?

·
Registered
2,151 Posts
Only thing I can think of here is he spins that blower backwards..... Intake on top and discharges in the rear. into the lower intake manifold (the welded part).

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Is Morana a complete joke scam artist or am I missing something? Because he has that TB on the OUTPUT of the blower.
I think what Morana was trying to do is legit. He's not a scam artist. And I don't care how much you think you know, if it wasn't for people like him, we wouldn't have half the V6 technology that we do. As far as the pulley setup, all you need to do is run the serpentine belt from the opposite side of the motor for it to spin backwards. Yes, you need an 8 rib setup, but that's a given with either an M90 or M112.......

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I think what Morana was trying to do is legit. He's not a scam artist. And I don't care how much you think you know, if it wasn't for people like him, we wouldn't have half the V6 technology that we do. As far as the pulley setup, all you need to do is run the serpentine belt from the opposite side of the motor for it to spin backwards. Yes, you need an 8 rib setup, but that's a given with either an M90 or M112.......
His box intake seems legit... I give him credit for that. And maybe he pioneered some na h/c/i combos. My hats off to him for that too.

What exactly do you mean "opposite side of the motor?" Also how are you going to drive the SC pulley when it lands several inches inboard of the regular serpentine pulley? Right smack dab where all your accessory brackets are?

Cobbling together some junkyard parts just enough to take some pics and not even have it functional...... that's hardly "new technology." This is probably my favorite example.......(click link) $1200 for this!? Clearly this is just a hunk of billet just sitting there and nothing at all is drilled. How functional is the center TB going to be? LOL. What kind of transition will the air be making with the other TBs?

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
What exactly do you mean "opposite side of the motor?" Also how are you going to drive the SC pulley when it lands several inches inboard of the regular serpentine pulley? Right smack dab where all your accessory brackets are?
perhaps he took that into account when he built it and set the blower a little more forward than on a stock supercoupe?

Why are you like, attacking/targeting this guy though?

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
perhaps he took that into account when he built it and set the blower a little more forward than on a stock supercoupe?

Why are you like, attacking/targeting this guy though?
No, he didn't. Anyone who is first hand familiar with the sc engines would clearly see that. I've personally wrenched on at least 10 of these engines. You can see it bolted onto the factory bolt boss on the Morana page. Feel free to google a pic and reference the position of the blower to the water outlet.

Why are you like defending/jocking this guy though?

Half this custom **** he appears to be selling for big $ will NOT work. If it can somehow be made to work, it will take major additional fab work to the extent that you may as well start from scratch. Wouldn't you be pissed if you bought something you thought was a bolt on and you find out you have just a small piece of the puzzle? Theres people on ebay who have sold just the T-bird sc M90 blower and manifold without the other 80% of the system and lie their ass off and claim it to be a simple bolt on. It makes me rage.

Maybe Morana would not actually process an order for these. Maybe he would fully explain to any potential customers that major fab work would be necessary. Maybe he thought these concoctions would bring traffic and attention to his site. I would love for him to chime in here.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
Also I love his disclaimer on his site:

Due to the intended use of the products, that being high performance and competitive racing, they are sold without any expressed warranty of merchantability or fitness for the intended purpose. These products are sold on an �as-is� basis, and no warranties of any kind, whether written or oral are made by Morana Racing, and it's agents, dealers, or employees. All implied warranties of merchantability of fitness are expressly excluded, and the buyer bears the entire risk as to quality performance and use of these products.

That to me says there is no guarantee of any kind for it to fit or work in the manner in which it is represented. Also zero warranty on the M90 blowers he is selling lol.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts