Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as i was getting out of my car today and noticed a burning smell. i popped the hood open and leaned in to inspect and the smell got stronger. no smoke, just a very strong burning smell and a lot of heat under the hood (though i was probably driving for like 30 minutes with 10 minute breaks in between). i recently got a oil change but this also happened once before that but the smell was a little bit weaker (probably because it was raining?). can anyone tell me what might cause that or what i can look at that might be causing it? thanks.

·
Super Moderator
40,048 Posts
Agree with above^^.Also check under car for anything on the cats or pipes.

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's pretty much it. Find a DIY car wash around you, they have steam cleaning stuff. Blast all the dirt/oil grime off your engine and get around the exhaust too.

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
You're smelling oil, crud, insects, road kill, etc. collected on and under the engine and exhaust. Lots of threads here on cleaning your engine and engine bay. As pfay82 said, try a self-service place, that way you can leave all the oil and grease with them (they'll treat it instead of you leaving it on your driveway, or worse, washing off into a nearby creek).

Keep the engine running and stay clear of any electrical. That stuff is water resistant not water proof. The bottom of your engine is fairly impervious to any water though. Try to reach underneath if you can, from the front and then both sides.

If you really want to get adventurous after you get home from the car wash set the car up on jacks and get under there with a garden hose and get what you couldn't reach previously. Start from one end and work your way to the other end. It's a good idea to do that first warm day after the winter to get most of the salt off.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You're smelling oil, crud, insects, road kill, etc. collected on and under the engine and exhaust. Lots of threads here on cleaning your engine and engine bay. As pfay82 said, try a self-service place, that way you can leave all the oil and grease with them (they'll treat it instead of you leaving it on your driveway, or worse, washing off into a nearby creek).

Keep the engine running and stay clear of any electrical. That stuff is water resistant not water proof. The bottom of your engine is fairly impervious to any water though. Try to reach underneath if you can, from the front and then both sides.

If you really want to get adventurous after you get home from the car wash set the car up on jacks and get under there with a garden hose and get what you couldn't reach previously. Start from one end and work your way to the other end. It's a good idea to do that first warm day after the winter to get most of the salt off.
thank you, this helps so much more than just, "clean your engine", lol. Ill give it a shot and then give you guys an update. thanks again guys.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts