Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help. I own a 2001 V6 Mustang. While driving last night it was running fine and all of a sudden it missed a little, then about 20 seconds later it lost all power and came crusing to a stop only to idle very rough. I turned it off checked the oil and all the obvious things and then re-started it. It started but would only run at an idle (very roughly) even if the accellerator was on the floor at full throttle. I tapped the throttle up and down rapidly and then the engine seemed to return to a normal operation. I drove the car home (about three miles from where this took place) and pulled it into my garage. I then shut the car off, waited a few seconds and started it again. The car started but wanted to idle really rough again. When I gave it some throttle and ran the engine at around 2000 rpm for a few seconds, and then let off of the throttle, the engine seemed to once again run ok and idle smoothly. Every time I stop and restart it, it does the same. I have not driven it again for fear of getting stuck on the side of the road. I pulled the fuel filter off, and the fuel that drained out onto a paper towel looked sort of dirty. I can blow throught the filter although it does seem to have a little restriction and thought I would replace it to see if this could be the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Could a slightly restricted fuel filter cause these symptons? My only experience with fuel filters has been either the car runs or it doesn't. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks fellas.

Scott Holmes

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Scott Holmes said:
Need some help. I own a 2001 V6 Mustang. While driving last night it was running fine and all of a sudden it missed a little, then about 20 seconds later it lost all power and came crusing to a stop only to idle very rough. I turned it off checked the oil and all the obvious things and then re-started it. It started but would only run at an idle (very roughly) even if the accellerator was on the floor at full throttle. I tapped the throttle up and down rapidly and then the engine seemed to return to a normal operation. I drove the car home (about three miles from where this took place) and pulled it into my garage. I then shut the car off, waited a few seconds and started it again. The car started but wanted to idle really rough again. When I gave it some throttle and ran the engine at around 2000 rpm for a few seconds, and then let off of the throttle, the engine seemed to once again run ok and idle smoothly. Every time I stop and restart it, it does the same. I have not driven it again for fear of getting stuck on the side of the road. I pulled the fuel filter off, and the fuel that drained out onto a paper towel looked sort of dirty. I can blow throught the filter although it does seem to have a little restriction and thought I would replace it to see if this could be the problem. Has anyone else had this problem? Could a slightly restricted fuel filter cause these symptons? My only experience with fuel filters has been either the car runs or it doesn't. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks fellas.

Scott Holmes
It could be your fuel filter, it could be your MAF. replace your filter, and spray the MAF with computer contact cleaner. It could also be your wires are cross firing.

how many miles are on the car?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
kscoyote said:
It could be your fuel filter, it could be your MAF. replace your filter, and spray the MAF with computer contact cleaner. It could also be your wires are cross firing.

how many miles are on the car?
The car has 39,000 miles on it. I hate to sound dumb, but what is the MAF and where is it located? I have already picked up a fuel filter and will replace it tonight when I get home from work, and if you can tell me what the MAF is, I'll try that too. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Scott Holmes said:
The car has 39,000 miles on it. I hate to sound dumb, but what is the MAF and where is it located? I have already picked up a fuel filter and will replace it tonight when I get home from work, and if you can tell me what the MAF is, I'll try that too. Thanks for your help.
It's the Mass Air Flow sensor just aft of the air filter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
kscoyote said:
It's the Mass Air Flow sensor just aft of the air filter.
Thanks for the clarification. Regarding the wires crossfiring, are you referring to a problem inside the distributor? What could cause this and what do you suggest I do to know if this is what is causing the problem? Also, what could I do to correct it? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Scott Holmes said:
Thanks for the clarification. Regarding the wires crossfiring, are you referring to a problem inside the distributor? What could cause this and what do you suggest I do to know if this is what is causing the problem? Also, what could I do to correct it? Thanks for your help.
there no distributor, you've got a coilpack, look at the wires, and see if any of em are cracked or worn. if the spark jumps, when you go faster than idle, it can fire the wrong plug, etc. After 4 years, the wires might just be old. If you start the engine at night with no light, you'll see the sparks jumping.

you might also check for a vacuum leak aft of the MAF, make sure all teh hoses are tight & sealed.

you're going to have to take off the MAF to clean it . . .

With so few miles, those are the only things I can think of, but you might pick up a Chiltons or a Haynes manual and run through the troubleshooting section.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
kscoyote said:
there no distributor, you've got a coilpack, look at the wires, and see if any of em are cracked or worn. if the spark jumps, when you go faster than idle, it can fire the wrong plug, etc. After 4 years, the wires might just be old. If you start the engine at night with no light, you'll see the sparks jumping.

you might also check for a vacuum leak aft of the MAF, make sure all teh hoses are tight & sealed.

you're going to have to take off the MAF to clean it . . .

With so few miles, those are the only things I can think of, but you might pick up a Chiltons or a Haynes manual and run through the troubleshooting section.
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll take a look at all of this tonight and let you know tomorrow what I find.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Scott Holmes said:
Thanks for all your suggestions. I'll take a look at all of this tonight and let you know tomorrow what I find.
If it's none of those things, it's almost gotta be the computer. It's either air, fuel, or spark.

Try disconnecting the battery for 5 mins.

If that doesn't fix it, it's gotta go in . ..

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
kscoyote said:
If it's none of those things, it's almost gotta be the computer. It's either air, fuel, or spark.

Try disconnecting the battery for 5 mins.

If that doesn't fix it, it's gotta go in . ..
Good morning kscoyote. Well, I was lucky for once in my life. The new fuel filter solved the problem. I put the new filter on last night and it runs like a top. Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Scott Holmes said:
Good morning kscoyote. Well, I was lucky for once in my life. The new fuel filter solved the problem. I put the new filter on last night and it runs like a top. Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!
Glad to hear one of 'em worked!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.