Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I just bought a 2001 Mustang from a friend dirt cheap.

It only has 70,000 miles on it. The problem is that it bogs somewhat when I'm accelerating. It never totally stops accelerating, but the RPMs will drop by 500 or 1000 then pick back up. Feels like a clogger fuel filter, but the guys at quick lube says it still looks good.

No engine lights are on. Has had new wires and plugs. Fuel filter was changed as well. One mechanic suggested it could be gummed up fuel injectors. He said having them cleaned would most likely help.

Car starts and idles just fine. I've read it could also be the MAF sensor.

Any suggestions on what it could be and what order to start tackling these possible causes?

Thanks!

Six

·
Registered
2 Posts
Mine will do just that if I don't use ethanol treatment once in a while. Might want to grab a can of MAF sensor cleaner and some ethanol treatment/octane booster.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Check out post #8 regarding the redesinged valve cover and blow by build up in the V6.

Seaform is another option.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/v6-tech/313594-1999-ford-mustang-3-8-a.html

IMO, it better to fix the base engine problem instead of using octane booster.

Other possible causes are:
  • vacuum leak. When was the last time the PVC valve was replaced? Even a tiny vacuum leak can cause issues.
  • Exhaust leak
  • excessive EGR flow
  • Secondary ignition (spark plugs, wires, coils).
  • Clogged fuel injectors. Consider InjectorRX.com
  • base motor problem.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
id like to know how a fuel filter can "look" good.... its a metal cylinder you cant see inside it...

my first thought was how do your spark plugs look; pull one or two and see what they have to say by the buildup or color on the electrodes. (post a picture)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice so far.

Markstang, I guess what I should have said was they said the fuel filter looks like it has been replaced recently. That doesn't necessarily mean it's good I suppose.

I know the plugs are fairly new too, but I'll pull one soon and take a picture of it to post.

I haven't filled it up to accurately calculate it yet, but it seems as if I'm only getting around 12 mpg. I've burned well over half a tank and have only driven 60 or 70 miles.

@wmburns, thanks for the links, some great info there. Looks like they fixed that pcv problem starting in 2001 and I've got a 2001. I'll take a look at it today and see anyways though.

Thanks guys so far for your input. It's greatly appreciated!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts