Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend from school owns a 2005 V6 mustang. Its automatic all stock. My 2001 is all stock also but its stick and i believe im a better driver. Were racing next week. So is it going to be an easy race?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
BigDorin60 said:
My friend from school owns a 2005 V6 mustang. Its automatic all stock. My 2001 is all stock also but its stick and i believe im a better driver. Were racing next week. So is it going to be an easy race?
No, it won't be easy, but it's easier to get hp on your car to do the job.

Otherwise, you're pretty evenly matched. He's got more favorable gearing, and 17 more hp, but he weighs 200+lbs more.

Ditch the spare, for sure.

Throw in a K&N, disconnect the computer and drive like hell for the next 6 starts. go to an onramp, accelerate quickly, pull off, turn off the car, repeat.

That will teach your computer to be a little less sluggish.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
It's going to be a close one. The only advantage I see him having is he will be more consistant with his auto than you are with your stick. All he has to do is floor it and go and you have to launch just right and hit your shifts perfectley. You can throw his hp advantage out the window because his auto sucks more power than your manual and his slightly better gearing only helps to neutralize his extra weight. Are both cars hardtops? If one is an convertible, the hardtop will have the advantage.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Monkey Boy said:
... Are both cars hardtops? If one is an convertible, the hardtop will have the advantage.
Why is that? Wouldn't a convertible be lighter?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Theres the machinery for taking the top down and storing it. Also, it makes the chassis more prone to flexing (bad for maneuvering). There are probably other things that Im forgetting, so just wait for another post by the experts ^^

Also, it may add more drag to the car (yes/no?)

·
Registered
394 Posts
I didn't think of all the up/down mechanics. Off-Topic: Can you still stiffen up the chassis with sway-bars, tower braces, etc?

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
yes, rear sway bar and sub frame connecters are where the money is at for initial chassie stiffening.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
KiLLeR_WoMBaT said:
Why is that? Wouldn't a convertible be lighter?
Convertables are heavier because they have to have a bunch of extra bracing added in the doors and underneath the floor board to make up for the fact that the roof is gone. The roof is a very important structural support on a car. And even with all that extra bracing, convertables still flex more than hard tops. The 05 ragtops are about 150lbs heavier than the hardtops and the SN95 verts are over 200lbs heavier than the hardtops.

·
Registered
174 Posts
kscoyote said:
disconnect the computer and drive like hell for the next 6 starts. go to an onramp, accelerate quickly, pull off, turn off the car, repeat.

That will teach your computer to be a little less sluggish.
I've never heard of this before. Any more info on this?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
mac_mogul said:
I've never heard of this before. Any more info on this?
the computer has an adaptive program. Most new cars have them.

Another trick is to turn on your AC & turn it off before the light. The computer has a different program that advances the timing to compensate for the compressor being on. It takes a couple of seconds before the computer switches to the regular program.

Your basic tuner will turn on this program permanently as par tof the power tune for 87 octane.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.