Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

To give a little background my 99 3.8 blew a head gasket so I have been contemplating rebuilding the whole engine or finding a cheap engine to buy to swap in there. I found a guy that is selling a 2001 3.8 engine with lower miles. Can I swap that 2001 into my 99 stang without having to worry about any wiring issues or computer issues? It will be bolting up to my stock t5 transmission. Any advice would be super helpful!
Thanks!

·
Registered
2004 V6 Coupe
3 Posts
Hello everyone,

To give a little background my 99 3.8 blew a head gasket so I have been contemplating rebuilding the whole engine or finding a cheap engine to buy to swap in there. I found a guy that is selling a 2001 3.8 engine with lower miles. Can I swap that 2001 into my 99 stang without having to worry about any wiring issues or computer issues? It will be bolting up to my stock t5 transmission. Any advice would be super helpful!
Thanks!
1999 3.8 are externally balanced. 2001 are internally balanced. You'll need to make sure to use the flywheel from the '01 as well as the harmonic balancer. I would assume the correct harmonic balancer would probably be coming with the engine but they are different. You can't reuse the ones from the '99. I'm not aware of any other issues than that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you so much for your reply I will make sure they harmonic balances come with the new engine. Again appreciate your help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts