Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question to anyone who might have had experience working on driveline/ manual transmissions. I'm new to the Mustang world and rear wheel drive cars in general. I'm a reformed FWD ricer :bigthumbsup. I bought a 5spd 2002 Gt and love it! I've always done what I could as far as repairs and mods myself but my experience with rear wheel trannys is nil. I decided to upgrade my steel drive shaft with an FRPP aluminum piece. I did the install myself using the haynes manual and stuff I found online. I broke the four 12mm bolts that mount the shaft to the companion flange of the rear with a 12 point box end with some pretty heavy blows to the wrench handle with a regular metal hammer. The wheels were set on ramps, the parking brake was set and the tranny was in first. Now I have what sounds like a whistling sound coming from the trans in all gears. When I press the clutch in while I'm moving the sound disappears. Soooo long story short. Did I possibly damage my tranny (output shaft or bearing maybe) with the shock of the hammer blows? Any input would be appreciated. Sorry for the long winded post.

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
Welcome to the parking lot!

you could have. its not that hard to do.

id say have a shop check it out. maybe someone else can help you out better

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply and thanks for the welcome. I guess having it checked is the only way to know. Any other thoughts. I've also put a set of Ford Racing B springs, CAI and 75 mm throttle body on it. I'm looking at Steeda UDP's next. Any other mods a novice can handle? Off topic, sorry.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*chirp* Anybody? Just an educated guess?

·
Registered
133 Posts
I recently had the exact same noise coming from tranny and it turns out its the throwout bearing in mine. However, i was recommended to also change out pilot bearing, resurface the flywheel, and change the clutch if i could afford it. If it doesnt squeal when the clutch is engaged while driving than it might very well be he same problem.

As far as mods that u can do urself. i recently changed my rear gear to a 3.73 and the car was transformed. there is an installation guide at americanmuscle.com that if followed closely will allow u to swap the gear with no trouble at all. measuring backlash measurements is tricky and watching out for preload on the pinion nut is tricky but other than that it is not too hard.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.