Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few months ago I had the brakes done on my 02 GT, and the stock rotors and pads were replaced. Cut to now, I have been hearing a squeaking noise from my brakes, similar to a bed spring. I took it to my mechanic and it turns out that because I took my mustang on a track day and some auto crosses, I've trashed my brakes. The pistons don't close right, and the pads are cracked, I basically melted my brakes. If I want to keep racing I was told I would need to upgrade my brakes. What would be the most cost effective way I could fix this, or would it just be better to go all out and get Cobra R fronts or something along those lines?

·
Registered
128 Posts
duplicolor caliper paint, choose from a variety of colors.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
duplicolor caliper paint, choose from a variety of colors.
Caliper paint isn't going to fixed jacked up brakes. But uh...thanks for the suggestion lol.

To the OP, the Cobra upgrade from SVE is a common upgrade. That is basically the stock brakes that were used on the Bullitt, Mach 1, and Cobra. Of course you can always get the Cobra R brakes. There's even some other brake kits that are expensive. If you want to really track the car, I would suggest some serious brakes. If you just do some random racing, then the SVE Cobra upgrade should be good enough.

·
Banned
465 Posts
+1. I would find some cobra brakes.

·
Banned
465 Posts
to add to what I said earlier.

cobra brakes, rotos, spindles, and lines can usually be found on corral (or sn95 forum) for around 400$.

·
Registered
144 Posts
When I had my GT, I upgraded to Cobra brakes with ss lines, ATE Blue brake fluid, slotted rotors from Brakeperformance.com, 2-ply duct with inlet from pegasusautoracing.com, and some duplicolor caliper paint. :kooky:

but really, calipers, rotors and cooling will make for a budget setup that will rock. Pads, I'd stick with track pads (Hawk DTC) for the track and just street pads for daily.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts