Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The gas mileage on my 2002 GT is less than spectacular so far. I bought the car middle of this November with only 8,000 original miles on it. So far I have done the following:

Added MAC cold air kit (fender well intake)

Removed stock exhaust and replaced with MAC Pro-Chamber and Flow Master Force 2 cat-back exhaust packages (3-chamber mufflers). There are no catalytic converters on the car anymore. Am running MIL eliminators.

My car is an automatic with the stock 3.27 gears in the rear. I drive about 40 miles for work each day (20 miles each way), and around town. I nearly always use the cruise control on the highway. I had been averaging about 17mpg overall (I would have liked it to be around 20 mpg overall), but now since putting on the exhaust the mileage has really dropped (about 30 miles off half a tank of gas). I’ve been into cars for about 20 years now (I’m an old fart, just turned 40, lol). This however is my first foray into this kind of technology so I’m basically stumped. Anyone with any ideas please let me know!

Future mods planned for the car are a C&L plenum, throttle body and plenum spacers, a 75mm MAC throttle body, MAC under-drive pulleys, SCT programmer, and lowering the car 1.5”. I was also considering a change to 3.73 gears (don’t want to totally kill the mileage with 4.10 gears), but the way the gas mileage is going I’m not sure right now about any gear change. I got rid of my brand-x truck because of the bad mileage, now it seems like I'm on the same course again. I have been trying to lean toward mods that will increase power and milage as well. Again, your input is welcome!!! :)

Scott

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
I have a 2002 Mustang GT, running
Flowmaster Catback
BBK off road xpipe (no cats)
373 gears
diablo predator tuner
steeda shifter (irrelevant to MPG)
Cold Air Intake (fender intake)

and just the other day i calced my MPG and i got 20.17 and i got on it sorta hard a few times with some jokers on the street so i think i could have gotten perhaps 1 more mpg, i dont know what it could be with your car. Sorry not to be more of help

·
Banned
1,069 Posts
Last road trip (380+miles) I got about 24mpg , but around town , with my gas pedal some how always finding the floor , the MPG is really bad !:D

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I HATE Mil eliminators! 50% of them don't work. Ditch the Mil's and get a Diablo tuner so you can shut off the rear 02's. I'm willing to bet this will improve your gas mileage. Your actually lucky because most people have worse problems than you do with these things.

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
My 02' gets about the same, 16-17 mpg. However, 90% of my driving is around town, and I am ALWAYS on the gas. I just got the 4.10's in on saturday, but I forgot to reset the trip odometer when I filled up. Now that I think about it, it wouldn't matter anyways cause I dont have the Diablosport in hand yet so everything is off. The tuner will be in tomorrow (thanks 87) and I will calculate my mileage on the next tank and let you know.

·
Registered
162 Posts
You know now that I think about it Matt, you might need to call mustangtuning and check on your O/R x-pipe to see if its at least on the way or something cause I hear they arent very good at getting their parts out to their customers. And you know if it just so happens they havent even shipped it out yet, well how much did you pay for their x-pipe? Cause I got mine 4 sale, I had to take it off when I put on my long tubes and had to put on a short x-pipe. :happyhapp

·
Registered
701 Posts
With my 2000 GT 5-spd (stock) I get about 19 mpg combined, and I really do a lot of city-driving.
I usually shift
1-2: 1800 RPM
2-3: 2000 RPM
3-4: 2000 RPM
4-5: 1800 RPM

The key is to shift as early as possible; I know you have an auto. I try to keep the RPM @ around 1300 - 2000.
Obviousely if I get "riced", gas mileage does not matter any more...

·
Banned
2,185 Posts
Yeah, I called them about an hour ago and the x-pipe was sent directly from the manufacturer (Pypes). They emailed me a UPS tracking # and it turns out the expected delivery date is today. :laughlitt Now I just need to get my wife to quit shopping and go home to sign for it. The pipe was only $165, but now I am contemplating whether to get a pipe with hi-flow cats, since they test emissions in VA.

·
Registered
701 Posts
engineer76 said:
With my 2000 GT 5-spd (stock) I get about 19 mpg combined, and I really do a lot of city-driving.
I usually shift
2-3: 2000 RPM
3-4: 2000 RPM
4-5: 1800 RPM ...
Wrong numbers, the correct ones are:
2-3: 1800 RPM
3-4: 1800 RPM
4-5: 2000 RPM (for higher drop in rpm)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I keep track of mileage constantly and "city and highway combined" nets me 20to 23 mpg depending on how much I get into the throttle. Strictly highway at 60-65 nets me 28 mpg. This is a totally stock car.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks!!!

Thanks guys for giving me your thoughts on this. Apparently something is going on with the car, the gas milage is getting worse. I think I'm going to get one of those calibrators, and have them set the 87 octane tune for fuel economy. That should help a bunch. It only takes a few seconds to change to the performance tune for say the weekend. Again, thank you for your input!!!!!!!! :)

Scott

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.