Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2002 GT Convertible 134,000 miles. stock

Hi All, first time poster here, but I've been browsing this site for years.

About 20,000 miles ago I noticed the steering on my car slightly changed (more vagueness when going over bumps) About 12,000 miles ago I began to noticed a heavy creaking sound coming from the steering rack when traveling slowly that's been slowly getting worse, and chirping sounds when going over bumps at moderate speeds. It got so bad last week that I was at a drive through at Dunkin Donuts and I took the corner, the creak was so loud that a group of girls standing next to their car all looked over and gave me a dirty look.:mesad:

I went online 20 minutes later and found out that it was likely due to the power steering tube bracket and bushings (there was a TSB article on it). I also saw the write up on it from someone in this forum, which was very informative, and I ordered all the parts including 2 replacement bolts, 2 replacement tube brackets, 4 bushings and associated nuts and washers.

Unfortunately this weekend not everything went to plan, I found that that after removing the nut and washers and outer bushing, when I rotate the 15mm bold head, the entire bracket and bolt appear to be fused together due to rust, i've tried prying with screw drivers, hitting the bolt head with a hammer WD40, to no avail. I was thinking of going with a sawz-all approach, but I read in some forums that it is not as affective as a angle grinder?

I was able to pry the steering rack pretty far forward, but not enough to do much more good (and most importantly not enough to replace the rear bushings). I only replaced both sides of the front bushings, and the creaking sound is virtually gone (only a slight sound in exreme turning.... steering control has also dramatically improved), but I really don't want to half arse this one.

Anybody have any experience in steering bolts that have completely seized together? (The bolt and bracket spin freely... but they currently think they are one entity)

Thanks in advance,
Ed

·
Banned
3,705 Posts
my approach to seized bolts has always been PB Blaster and a BFH.
Big F*ckin' Hammer.

Ditch the WD40 and get some penetrating oil that actually works. If you hit it enough, it'll break loose... or just break. Good luck.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
+1 on above.

Check out Kano Labs Kroil. I originally purchased this to help with a spark plug removal for a 2005 F-150. I was doubtful about the claims made but I have to honestly admit that the stuff works as advertised. It actually flows up hill.

Penetrating-Lubricating Oils

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That Kroil stuff is amazing! (albeit smells weird)
It ripped through the rust easy, and I was able to seperate the bolt from the jacket.

Replaced both brackets, bolts, all bushings and washers and torqued her up to 52 ft/lbs.

The steering is crisp and sound is non-existent.

Thanks guys :bigthumbsup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts