Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 2002 gt, it has been chiped and has a k&n cold air intake.it runs lean and keeps fowling my plugs . should i get a bigger fuel pump or injecters, and a presure gage to get more fuel.on the dyno, air fuel was like 13 average ,on the throttle then starts to level out at higher rpm.horse power was 247-290 torqe. but very lean kinda scared me.please help..thanks

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Lean = Bad.

What mods are on the car? Is it forced induction? Just running a CAI should not do this by itself...

If the only mod is the CAI, get it custom tuned. Sounds like the tune on the chip is way off.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lean = Bad.

What mods are on the car? Is it forced induction? Just running a CAI should not do this by itself...

If the only mod is the CAI, get it custom tuned. Sounds like the tune on the chip is way off.
yeah just a chip and cai. would a hand held turner help me?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Yes, but only if you are sitting with it with the car on a dyno, working with a good tech who supports whatever tuner you own.

Otherwise, you are just flying blind, with no way to measure WHAT is actually happening.

The alternative is to buy a wideband O2 setup like Innovate sells, plus a tuner, and then learn how it all works (it is not dead simple).

I would highly recommend finding a good dyno for a custom tune sooner rather than later. Detonation is no fun...

·
Registered
174 Posts
You need to get your car dyno tuned man! and if someone already has and you still have this problem go somewhere else. lol

·
Registered
454 Posts
You might want to try takeing the chip out and see what happends, If your plugs are good after you drive it for awhile find a tuner in your area and find out what product he uses. Get them to dyno it and make you a custom tune, you will greatly benefit from it and you will love the power differance... Just my 2 cents worth.... Good luck..
Jimmy B..

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I have an 2002 gt, it has been chiped and has a k&n cold air intake.it runs lean and keeps fowling my plugs . should i get a bigger fuel pump or injecters, and a presure gage to get more fuel.on the dyno, air fuel was like 13 average ,on the throttle then starts to level out at higher rpm.horse power was 247-290 torqe. but very lean kinda scared me.please help..thanks

You need to find out what your A/F is. I run an Innovate LC-1 standalone Wideband in my car and love it. It has been troublefree for the 2+ years I have had it. It is used in a daily driven supercharged Mustang with no issues. :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Plugs foul with an over rich mixture not lean, I agree take that piggyback chip out reset the computer and you should be fine.
A custom Dyno tune on an 02GT with just a CAI? Not really needed and you say you Hit 290 RW Torque with a basically stock car?? That seems quite high? And 13 A/F isn't WAY Lean, 12.6-12.8 is ideal for Normally aspirated!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Plugs foul with an over rich mixture not lean, I agree take that piggyback chip out reset the computer and you should be fine.
A custom Dyno tune on an 02GT with just a CAI? Not really needed and you say you Hit 290 RW Torque with a basically stock car?? That seems quite high? And 13 A/F isn't WAY Lean, 12.6-12.8 is ideal for Normally aspirated!
That is what I was thinking about the fouling. lean burns the plugs up or melts them right?

·
Registered
5,631 Posts
Correct. I am assuming his problem is not fouled plugs, but detonation.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.