Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

What is the wheel lug tightening torque for my GT? Either I am blind or I cannot find it in my "owners manual". Thanks much for the info!

Dan

·
Banned
918 Posts
ran260gt said:
Tighten it , till it cant be tighten anymore !
Just an FYI, thats how studs get broken. People tighten them too darn tight and you have issues getting them off.

Hand tighten the lugnuts and then use a torque stick/wrench from 80-100lbs and that will be fine, with a 5 lb variance.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
With practice, you'll learn how tight to get them with a lug wrench. I've never broken a stud or had a wheel fly off my car so I must be doing something right.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I change snow tires and rotate my own tires on 4 vehicles. You can get a feel for the correct torque after a while, but I still check them with a torque wrench. If you torque the wheels correctly you'll minimize caliper warping.

·
Registered
701 Posts
!!!!!!!!!!!!DO NOT TIGHTEN UNTIL YOU CAN'T GO ANY MORE!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically you either know how 80 - 100 ft-lbs of torque feels with the tire arm, or you better get a torque wrench.

·
Registered
269 Posts
If you tighten lug bolts until you can't tighten them anymore, or you tighten them without a torque wrench you risk more damage that good. You can break studs but also if all 5 lugs are at different torques, that will actually seat your rotor incorrectly and it will eventually warp your rotor. All it takes is a couple thousands of an inch to wollow the rotor. I go to 95lbs

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the info! My arms are out of calibration, so I think I'll do torque wrench evenly 95-100 ft-lb.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.