Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
02 Mustang V6, bone stock:

Developed a bucking problem at about 3500 RPM accelerating, decelerating, holing 3500. No other problems, smooth clean power otherwise.

Bucking got worse. Started to be accompanied by a loud screeching noise similar to a belt being dragged through a stuck pulley.

Finally got a P0340 code-Cam Angle circuit. Went on the internet and found that many people were getting this error due to alternator.

Went under hood, got the thing to screech. Didn't make the noice long enough to localize it, but I saw a puff of smoke come from the alternator after it happened.

Got a new alternator. Problem still there. I get an occasional screech when at lower Rpm's but it's still in the 3K to 4K range. Get an occasional SES light.

Here's the question-since I already got the alternator change, is it the cam angle sensor in your experience?

Do I have to change both the sensor and the assembly that fits into the old distributor spot, or can I just change the sensor?

What makes that screeching noise?

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
the screeching noise generally comes from the synchronizer. i dont think just changing the sensor will fix it its not too hard to do the synchronizer though there's a writeup at the top of the tech page give it a read

·
Registered
323 Posts
ditto above, just pray its not a transmission problem

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Lucky not a tranny problem

The problem did crop up about the same time I replaced the clutch on the Mustang due to a throwout bearing problem so I was worried about the coincidence. But the screech is coming from the front of the engine for sure.

I ordered the part for $55 including tax from Napa, pt # BK6002900 (good liar's poker number, eh?)

Just hope I can figure out that TDC thing. In California they use a timing light during the smog procedure, so it's possible there is a timing mark, but I haven't looked.

Man, that screech is vicious. I only had it one time in the last few days when I forgot myself and reved over 3500.

I'll post my results.

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
the screeching noise generally comes from the synchronizer. i dont think just changing the sensor will fix it its not too hard to do the synchronizer though there's a writeup at the top of the tech page give it a read

+1 mark.

your cam sensor & synchronizer need to be replaced. common problem, causes intermittent misfiring & screeching. usually associated with a p0301, and sometimes p0302 through p0306. also, im not sure what you mean by SES light comes on "occasionally", but if it's blinking/flashing, that means the engine is currently misfiring.

i dont know what forum told you a P0340 Cam signal error could be caused by an alternator lol, that is just ridiculous. i've seen alternators lock up, which causes a squeel that only lasts long enough till your belt has been melted to shreds. it's very obvious when it happens though, you have no p/s, you smell burning rubber, and there'll be a HOLY SH** mess under your hood.

·
Registered
6,168 Posts
we see cam synchro problems ALL the time

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Screachy Stang

I really do appreciate all of the answers.

As for the alternator problem, I found several posts on other forums about it causing an electrical fault that interfered with the signal from the CAS because it ran in the same harness. I thought it was weird too, but when I was under the hood revving the motor, I heard the screech. The noise was so short lived that I couldn't localize it other than to the left front of the engine. Then the alternator spit out a puff of smoke. Weird, I know.

The SES light comes on occasionally after the screech. It never blinks.

My question: How do I get this thing out of the engine? Do I have to remove the egr valve?

Any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OBD Reader

Oh, BTW, I have to reset the codes with my OBD reader. I don't get a repeat code until I get a schreech.

·
Registered
3 Posts
where you able to replace the synchronizer? and did it fix your problems? im having the same issue, code(p0340), new alternator didn't fix it, engine jerks from 2000 to 2500 rpms. Please help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts