Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
got a couple of mixed answers on this type of question..see what you guys think.

i have a fairly stock 4.6, and i gotta' change my oil here soon..is it worth it running fully synthetic oil?

and, if you already havce used full syn, can you switch back to conventional motor oil? pro's/cons of that?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
I run Mobil 1 fully-synthetic and never went back to conventional:hihi: There should be no problem switching back to conventional if you want for any reason, but I always recommend a good fully-synthetic motor oil:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
547 Posts
there is absolutely no reason to not run full synthetic oil. and yes you can go back to conventional if for some twisted reason you decide to.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I run Mobil 1 fully-synthetic and never went back to conventional:hihi: There should be no problem switching back to conventional if you want for any reason, but I always recommend a good fully-synthetic motor oil:bigthumbsup
+1, I run Mobil 1 full synthetic 5w30. Have since day one, will not consider switching.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
For the low price of 5 Quart Jugs of Valvoline SynPower and Mobil1 at Walmart you'd be a fool to switch back to conventional, run a 5W30!

·
Registered
9 Posts
im running a mobil 1 synthetic 15w50 for the summer months and is that making the motor work too hard or will it be fine? gonna switch back to mobil 1 syn 10w30 when the weather starts to cool down . any advice if thats wrong to use sucha heavy oil in the summer cuz of the hot weather? just seemed logical to me but i have been wrong before:shigrin

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
like I said before that's too thick a viscosity, run 5W30 all year long!

·
Registered
140 Posts
i run roylal purple just becaue its cheaper than Mobil 1 (and better) its one of the better things i have done for my car

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I have run 5w-30 Mobil 1 fully synthetic since ~50,000 miles.

I now have 114,000 miles and 35,000 of them have been with 6-9# of boost. No issues and the car has never leaked or smoked or even had the valve covers or oil pan off. I won't run anything else in any of my vehicles. :bigthumbsup

To anyone running a thicker oil than 5w-20 / 5w-30 in a 4.6L Mustang engine: You will ruin your engine eventually due to over-working the oil pump with too thick of an oil and underlubrication due to the oil being too thick to reach all of the tight tolerances of these newer high tech engines. :nono:

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
i run roylal purple just becaue its cheaper than Mobil 1 (and better) its one of the better things i have done for my car
Dang, where you get your RP from? All the places I've checked, RP is like $1 more than Mobil 1, unless you got the hook up's:hihi:

·
Registered
210 Posts

Where you buying your oil? Everywhere I look Royal Purple has always been the most expensive brand I have found. I currently am running 5w20 Q Horsepower full synthetic.

·
Registered
140 Posts
o'riellys here in kc.mo it(royal purple) sells for $8 a quart

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
WalMart has 5 Quart Jugs of Mobil1 for $23!

·
Registered
603 Posts
I switched semi syn to full syn mobile 1 10w40 high mileage this oil is awesome! lot better gas mileage and feels better for performance i will not go back to ricer conv oil:gringreen

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
It depends on the Walmart, sometimes I see them and buy them, other times they aren't in stock. :so
That is what I find weird, I went to Wal-Mart the other day and they didn't have it, then went to another Wal-Mart and they were fully stocked. But yeah, the $23 5qt jug is a good deal:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
Yeah it is a good deal for sure compared to the single quart price of $6+ for them. I run Valvoline SynPower 5W30, that's $21 at Wally World!

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Just got back from Walmart and while I was there for kicks I checked the auto section and found some Fully synthetic 5w-30 Mobil 1 extreme duty oil $22 for a 5 quart container. Couldn't beat that!

·
Registered
996 Posts
I'll be due next week for my first oil change since I bought my '02 GT (about 53,000 miles currently). I plan on going with Royal Purple but was wondering if it matters which grade I run, 5W-20 or 5W-30? Any opinions? I know the manual calls for 5W-20 but I figured I'd ask some people that know these engines better than I do. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.