Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a few problems and am not sure if two of them are related. I purchased a 2002 GT 5-Speed with 113k and I hear two noises.

One, I'm almost positive is a throwout bearing. I hear the noise and it sounds like a fast chirping. Usually, enganging the clutch or releasing it all the way will make the noise go away temporarily.

The other noise is only in the morning especially when it's cold out. Sounds to me like u-joints. This sounds more like a squeal and is a lot sharper of a noise than the other one. It makes the noise only when the car is moving and the faster I go the noise will get faster as well. I can hear it most when traveling between ~10-25mph.

I also now have a vibration. When I drive over 75mph I feel it most but it seems to be getting worse. It wasn't there a week ago as far as I can remember. The vibration only happens when the car is NOT under a load. So, if I speed up to 85mph and put it in neutral and engage the clutch it will happen. It seems pretty strong and it's probably my biggest worry.

About a 2 weeks ago I racked the car and the dampener on the rear end was really loose. I tightened it down. Other than that I saw nothing rubbing or any shinny metal that I would think caused a sqeak.

My question is do the vibration and the squeal sound like they are related? Or could it be two different issues? If you guys have come across any of these problems please advise. I'm new to these Mustangs and don't want to throw to many parts at it. Thanks

Diego

·
Registered
230 Posts
i dont know for sure if they are related but it seems to me they are not. The squeal sounds like a pilot or throw out bearing...if the sound is there when the clutch pedal is not being pressed its a pilot bearing if the sound is there when you press the clutch pedal down its a throw out bearing...as far as vibration im not to sure without feeling it myself sorry :/

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks man. Ya the vibration is a little weird to me. It almost seems like some bolts came loose on the driveshaft. It's pretty consistent with speed. The faster I go the harder it vibrates. I should say stronger actually. I know it's not the wheels being unbalanced or something like that cause the vibration is smooth and slowly get more intense. If I put the car under a load it goes away thoo. That's the tricky part I guess.

So the squeal would be a pilot bearing? Even if only in the morning?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.