Ford Mustang Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I went on vacation for 3 weeks and while i was gone my mom tried to start the car. well she opened the door and the alarm went off. the unlock button on the remote wouldn't turn off the alarm and neither would unlocking the car with the key. She tried to start the car to see if it would turn the alarm off but the car didn't even turn over. 0 response from everything. the lights won't turn on and neither will anything else. but somehow the alarm will work? I just got home and i am charging the battery but i have a wall charger for car batteries with a gauge and it says the battery is half charged. so the car should be turning on right? any ideas?

·
Administrator
40,040 Posts
Welcome to the site!! Get the battery fully charged and go from there.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Sounds like you had a electrical drain that drained the battery down all the way. The anti-theft (alarm system) will have enough power if the battery isnt completely drained down but if it is under quarter charge it wont have enough juice to turn anything on. Id charge it up and see what happens if charging it doesnt work take the battery to Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone and have it tested for free.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hey, so the battery is charged and its still doing the same thing. should i buy a new battery? or could this be a different problem?

·
Registered
6,852 Posts
Has the battery been tested and confirmed to hold a charge?

Are the battery terminals Clean and tight? Any corrosion cauliflowers growing on the battery terminals?

How about the grounds around the radiator core support.

The anti-theft system (PATS) on later model year Fords is designed to trip when the battery is disconnected. Think about it. Someone could easily defeat the PATS system by simply disconnecting the battery.

Bottom line. Today's cars simply will not run right without a strong battery and charging system.

Save yourself the headache of performing wasted trouble shooting until after you are POSITIVE the battery and charging system is in tip top shape.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts