Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to replace the dull stock dome light with a GREEN LED light. I know the part number of the stock bulb is (#578) but I cannot seem to find the bulb for the life of me. Does anyone know of where I could purchase this bulb. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
HERE I hope this helps, looked into it quite a bit for a gauge swap Im doing. Good luck!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Let me address some issues here:

1). Ford never made a Green Dome light, so thats why youre not finding a part number.

2). The above fact will make it near impossible to find a direct replacement. unless you wanted to cover the stock bulb with a green film, but that would be even dimmer.

3). By saying LED I think that you are giving "LED" the definition of being a small bulb. When in fact LED's are Light Emitting Diodes, and are quite different than the conventional filament style bulbs that you are actually talking about and are in all mustangs. So directly putting an actual green LED into the housing most likely wouldn't work without modifications or adapters.

Bottom line is that you will not find a GREEN LED to fit directly into the housing for the stock dome light. Here are your options:

1). Go to a ford dealership and get a new bulb, wrap it in a green bulb film and call it a day. However, it may not end up as green as you expected.

2). You can buy different colored automotive interior bulbs at any local auto parts store. They will be a bit dimmer so buy a couple. There is nothing special about the stock dome light receptacles. One end is positive, the other is negative. You could solder the new purchased bulbs into the place of the old dome light.

If you know a little bit about circuit design, then you will know that wiring a these bulbs in parallel will make each bulb brighter. The more bulbs you attach, the brighter they will be because you are lowering the resistance to current. However, with too many bulbs, you run the risk of frying the leads, or wires. NOT fun. So be modest.

If you do happen to come across some colored LED's you could use the same process. However, wire these in series, not parallel.

Series Vs. Parallel Wiring

The link is to explain parallel and series wiring. They use speakers as an example, but the same concept applies in all circuits.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts