Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i got a problem with my car reving high . My car usually idles around 900 rpms. It started afew days ago i started my car let it warm up alittle then headed down the road, now when ever i down shift and stop the car allways would idle high for a second then dump down to the normal 900 rpms now it idles at 1400 rpms and it wont drop anyways i got home shut the car off and restarted it worked fine idled at 900 rpms but this problem has been showing up more often. Anybody with any sugestions please post. Could it be an idle sensor or something like that.

·
Registered
232 Posts
a few suggestions - I had this problem, maybe not as drastic

Can clean the sensor in the MAF. I did this about a month ago after mine was idling a bit high and it helped.

You can also check all vacuum lines for leaks (home made stethiscope aka rubber hose to the ear)

It could also be your Idle Air Control valve.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2000 GT same problem

My 2000 Mustang GT did the same thing today...I dont know what it is and because it doesnt do it all the time its hard to troubleshoot. Im thinking it may be the the trottle position sensor?? if you figured out what the problem was I would appreciated it if you could let me know, thanks.. also my idle is getting stuck a bit higher, closer to the 1800-2000 mark...

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2000 Mustang GT did the same thing today...I dont know what it is and because it doesnt do it all the time its hard to troubleshoot. Im thinking it may be the the trottle position sensor?? if you figured out what the problem was I would appreciated it if you could let me know, thanks.. also my idle is getting stuck a bit higher, closer to the 1800-2000 mark...
come on ya'll,, this has been covered a million times.. Yes clean your MAF, but it always comes down to being the cheap IAC (idle air control). they always go bad and will continue to go bad. Just replace it and don't worry about it anymore..

don't mean to come off ignorant, but this happens to just about everyone.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Hmm, sounds like it could be either a bad part or possible an intermitten problem that the dealer didnt diagnose correctly, do you have a warranty on the part?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.