Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm taking my car to a test and tune this Sunday. I've raced before but it was in 2wd Ford Rangers so the quickest time was a 16.40 (I never got to the strip with my T/A). So I haven't raced anything of the caliber of my Mustang.

I was just wondering if anyone with a similar set up car has any suggestions regarding about what launch RPM and tire pressure I should try first?

See performance mods in my signature and I'm running 245-45-17 Goodyear F1 GS-D3's that are on their last legs (most likely wouldn't pass inspection next year even if I didn't use them to drag).

Thanks.

R

·
0 Posts
Based on your admitting the tires are bald.....

I would recommend postponing your trip to the track until you have new ones.....

Aside from the fact you will not get traction.....

You should be concern for you own saftey and that of the other racers....

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I have to agree with Reggie on this one. Worn out 245 street radials + 4.10 gears = you're gonna blow the tires off. Combine that with what appears to be a suspension set up for handling more than drag racing, and you probably will be running well into the 15's.

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Results . . .

Well I do agree that traction is crucial, even more so after yesterday :shiny:. After a day of tinkering with launch RPM, tire pressure, the traction control vs. no traction control question; I ended up running 25 lbs of tire pressure, leaving off idle, and turning the traction control off while only going 3/4 throttle through half of 1st gear. Doing that I managed an average (4 passes) of 14.40 @ 97-99 mph with a 2.3-2.4 60'. The bright spot was a 14.35 with a 2.20 60' despite the traction issues. I was able to make four or five passes without any wheelspin (by feathering the throttle most of the way into 2nd) but the quickest one's where in the 14.60's.

Next on the "To Do" List: Drag Radials :gringreen

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We told you so......:gringreen
I know, I know . . . but did I ever have fun :D.

Gate Fee: $13

Class/Run Fee: $15

8 Hours of Drag Racing (16 passes): PRICELESS :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.