Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey yall i am in the prosess of putting some gears in my 2002 GT 2v ive put slp loudmouth exhaust cold air intake and ordered a sct custom tuner ...i need to know what set of gears should i go with and what would be the performence to expect from them ... thank you :bigthumbsup

·
Registered
613 Posts
I like the 3:73s personally. seems like a good all around gear set. 4:10s are just down right fun, you lose a little over all speed, but gains some wicked take off power.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks !! but does those gears have a good 5th gear ? because its like the stock fifth on my car is way to high it boggs out if im not going over 65 mph ... id really like to have a nice pull threw all the gears ....:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
thanks !! but does those gears have a good 5th gear ? because its like the stock fifth on my car is way to high it boggs out if im not going over 65 mph ... id really like to have a nice pull threw all the gears ....:bigthumbsup
Pulls real nice in 5th with 4.10's. You can actually be in 5th at like 45 and get up to highway speeds without downshifting. And don't worry about losing top end, that's actually kind of a myth, and the little bit of truth it does have to it won't come into play unless you plan on getting over the 180mph barrier.

Here's a gear calculator so you can know what rpm's you'll be at at any given speed. PaladinMicro

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks socal!! big help on that matter thats what i want my stang to be doing in fifth !!!
im going to try and make this my daily driver and push a twelve second run on the track !! if you have any more suggestions i would very much appriciate it thankyou very much !:bigthumbsup one more thing i was wondering if the sub frame was going to be an issue thanks ...

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
disregard my last post i just realized i should have search myselff hahaha thank s :worship

·
Registered
66 Posts
Go with 4:10s i actually just got mine in Saturday 03 2v, man what a blast to drive, 5th gear is actually drivable in city pulls like 4th with stock gears imo. I put my old tires back on 245's and when you hammer the throttle in first she will spin through second only chirps my new 285's. Also your speedo will be off by 10-20 mines some where around 14 or so. Tune will take care of that or the sell an adapter at AM you could get.:bigthumbsup

·
Registered
63 Posts
I put 3.73's in mine because most of my driving is at 65+mph. I was expecting my mileage to drop some, but it actually stayed the same:D. technically you don't lose top in, but you will be shifting in to 5th 10-15mph sooner. IMO 3.73 are perfect for a DD..

·
Registered
8,704 Posts
IMO 3.73 are perfect for a DD..
You're probably right, but I'm willing to bet you'd change your tune real quick if you drove a car with 4.10's. I don't have to dd my car, but I would have no reservations about it if I had to. And most of my driving, on the freeway anyway, I tend to stay around 80mph.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I LOVE MY 4:10's :banana: !! extreamly fun! first and second are pertty much usless. pulls hard as hell, very nice.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts