Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've recently acquired a 2002 Mustang Gt. And I am looking for an efficient way to up my horsepower without breaking my wallet. I am open to ideas (for the most part). Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your time.

·
Super Moderator
40,043 Posts
Welcome to the site!! You can start with a Cold Air Induction-exhaust upgrade.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well here's a list of bolt ons if you don't plan on goin FI aka supercharger turbo. Throttle body\upper plenum, cuz what's one without the other? Cold air intake, exhaust, gears, tuner, suspension upgrades to help keep your already gotten power to the ground like lower control arms, subframe connectors, also maybe get a wider rim out back, I got the black spleens with 18x10.5 in e rear :p. gears and tuner are the best thing to start off with. But exhaust is always a fun upgrade, who DOESN'T like the sound of these 2vs? :). Alot of highway driving? If not get some 4.10 gears, if you do alot of highway interstate driving go with 3.73s. I only did 3.73s cuz I plan on supercharging later on.

There's also about 639851 threads on upgrades on this website already so feel free to look around. You'll learn slot from this place! :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
Honestly it all depends on your budget. But you will be happy starting with 3.73 gears. CAI and such are just for aesthetics and do not really give you much more than something cool to look at. Like cpthawk said go with gears and a tuner for a noticeable gain in acceleration

·
Registered
249 Posts
How much money do you got? lol. Do you want to do this over time or in a one time shot? Whatever you do, do not install pullies. Pullies will be a waste of money and time to see no gain in power in our 4.6's. Oh and welcome to the site!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all! I plan on swapping out my exhaust and new cold air intake. And i think ill also go with the 3.73 gears. Im not too sure if i wanna use the tuner. Im thinking long term to add turbo,but that's because i love the sound, even though supercharger is better ive heard (from my uncle; owns a 2009 Shelby GT 500). But This is something i will do over time, and with all the knowledge you guys have, I feel confident in upping my horsepower!

·
Registered
279 Posts
The tuner is worth the bucks you pay for it. I think just about anyone here would agree. I am needing to pick one up for myself soon. My car is tuned well you can see on my sig. While my pony has almost no trouble taking a turbo S2000 I still have trouble with camaro ss and trans am's. Gears make the difference. before I would not be able to even keep up with these little turbo 2000s. But I can say now I stay ahead even at higher speeds. You will not see any good gains for less than $500 for you car unless you plan on doing the work yourself.
Tuner $ 380.00 (free tunes for life)
Gears $ 260.00 (Ford racing kit)
Headers $300.00? (Pacesetters supposedly have a good fit)
TB/plenum $300-500 (BBK 1780 is both for $270)
Control arms $163.00 ( Summit = what I'm getting)
SLP LMII $192.00 (to go with those headers)
Subframe Connectors $140.00 ( Great deal )

·
Registered
4,991 Posts
The tuner is worth the bucks you pay for it. I think just about anyone here would agree. I am needing to pick one up for myself soon. My car is tuned well you can see on my sig. While my pony has almost no trouble taking a turbo S2000 I still have trouble with camaro ss and trans am's. Gears make the difference. before I would not be able to even keep up with these little turbo 2000s. But I can say now I stay ahead even at higher speeds. You will not see any good gains for less than $500 for you car unless you plan on doing the work yourself.
Tuner $ 380.00 (free tunes for life)
Gears $ 260.00 (Ford racing kit)
Headers $300.00? (Pacesetters supposedly have a good fit)
TB/plenum $300-500 (BBK 1780 is both for $270)
Control arms $163.00 ( Summit = what I'm getting)
SLP LMII $192.00 (to go with those headers)
Subframe Connectors $140.00 ( Great deal )

Sithis, let me know what you think of the Summit lower controls arms. I have the same ones but waiting to install them until I get all my suspension componenets (springs and SFCs are left)...I'll PM you when I get mine installed. Also, I bought spherical bushings ($90 form UPR) for the upper axle bushings, just an idea for you...

OP, I have nothing to add...everyone has covered all the basic bolt ons...Good luck!

·
Registered
279 Posts
Sithis, let me know what you think of the Summit lower controls arms. I have the same ones but waiting to install them until I get all my suspension componenets (springs and SFCs are left)...I'll PM you when I get mine installed. Also, I bought spherical bushings ($90 form UPR) for the upper axle bushings, just an idea for you...

OP, I have nothing to add...everyone has covered all the basic bolt ons...Good luck!
I'll look into it as well. And I'll PM you when I get them bought and installed

1 - 11 of 11 Posts