Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 4.6 GT Mustang and I changed the spark plugs, wires, and just today put it in a new Camshaft position sensor. The reason I did all that is because when I accelerate the car hesitates and keeps shaking through all the gears and at any RPM like if it had no power. It doesnt shut off on idle but def feels weak. The wierd thing is when I took off the old camshaft sensor, the car ran perfect with no hesitation or shaking! what the heck?! I bought the new sensor and plugged it in...and the shaking and hesitation started again. I plugged in a comp reader and it says is the coils but the coils wouldnt be the problem or else the car wouldnt run well with the camshaft sensor disconnected. Someone please help lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Sounds sort of like the problems I was just having with my coils. The car runs fine you say after the cam sensor is unplugged? It sounds like an injection issue. Someone correct me if I am wrong (Im not too familiar with the modular platform yet) but when you unplug the cam/crank sensor, the PCM looses its ability to read RPM, which in turn activates a sort of failsafe and causes simultaneous multiport fuel injection. That would cause all of your injectors to fire at the same time, instead of just the one at TDC. Im thinking that you have a clogged or failing injector or something is screwed up with the timing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah its probably going to end up being the injectors. It started shaking again now with the position sensor not connected as well. The computer reading says its some coils but hopefully its not more than that!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
i recently put a 01 motor in my 96 gt and have the set of stock 19# injectors and fuel rail, i dont need them (knock on wood).....
Let me know.
P.S. and some coils laying around also

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you have a scan tool handy, do a mode 6 and look for the code "$53". This will bring up the recorded missfire data and will give you a value (amount of missfires) per cylinder. That would help you track down and diagnose the problem a lot quicker and cheaper than replacing parts. Your going to need a good scan tool in order to preform this procedure, I used a snap-on.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.