Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright i have an 02 GT all factory and i'm wanting to put cams in it. I have found the comp cams xe274's. What other upgrades would i HAVE to do to accomidate the new cams? Thanks -Ben

·
Registered
136 Posts
You can add the Super Charger

Good Luck(^_^)

Best Regards,
HUNTER X :D

·
Super Moderator
39,978 Posts
welcome to the site....check the info on them cams,see if they require new valve springs....also i suggest a timing chain set when you do the swap....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
which supercharger are you refering to? because i have actually been looking into the intercooled procharger kit...

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Cams

Alright i have an 02 GT all factory and i'm wanting to put cams in it. I have found the comp cams xe274's. What other upgrades would i HAVE to do to accomidate the new cams? Thanks -Ben
Those are fairly large cams, and will require dished or flycut pistons. They also feature a rough idle and are not great candidates for a daily driver imo. You will have to replace the stock springs, and Comp's beehive springs and some upgraded retainers are what I would recommend. To get the full effect of these cams, you should consider LT's and a new Xpipe at the same time. Call Comp and talk with one of their techs about what they recommend in terms of gearing, fuel system and tune for these.

·
Registered
5,023 Posts
Yikes, gotta love the gas prices and mpg you'll be getting once you get those cams lol.

·
Registered
512 Posts
i wouldnt get the stage 2 comp cams if the rest of your motor is stock you would definatly require a better rear end gears, intake and exhaust. valve springs are also recomended with those cams to. if all your doing is putting cams in i would say just get comp xe266's. if you really want those cams you will need to research and find out what else you need. ive been researching what im getting for the last 2 months almost every day and i still keep finding stuff that i was gonna get that i later found out required something else first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ahh i see. I did some more research and i have found the CRA-379611...everything i have found on them doesnt tell me i need different pistons, springs etc. As far as other upgrades i have ordered the diablo preditor, LT's, and an off road H-pipe. I found it came with 40 series Flowmasters. And i do plan on supercharging it also. What do you think?

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Super

ahh i see. I did some more research and i have found the CRA-379611...everything i have found on them doesnt tell me i need different pistons, springs etc. As far as other upgrades i have ordered the diablo preditor, LT's, and an off road H-pipe. I found it came with 40 series Flowmasters. And i do plan on supercharging it also. What do you think?
I'd have to look up the CRA-379611's profile to tell if they need new springs or other mods.

If you plan to supercharge the car later, call Crane and talk to a tech about how well the cams will mesh with a blower.

Frankly, you SHOULD decide right now exactly which blower you are getting, and talk to the manufacturer about what cams and gears THEY recommend.

Also, the tuner will be redundant with some blower kits (they come with their own tunes).

Make the PLAN first, then slot in all the pieces. Right now, you have about 1/3 of a plan. What other mods are you thinking of adding to the picture?

UPDATE: OK, I checked out that Crane grind, and imo its not a perfect choice for a performance Mustang. The rpm range tops out at 5800, which is a little low for the 2000 SOHC 4.6 (about right for a truck). It would mate well with the stock 3.27 gears, though, and it will make good power and torque down low, and no, it doesn't need extra care prepping the motor or valve train.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.