Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. My daughter's 2002 Mustang V6 with A/T has developed a problem with the low-beam headlights. They will not turn on. All fuses look OK. Bulbs are good. The high-beam passing flasher works, but the high-beam setting on the multi-purpose switch does not work. Both turn signals work OK. Replacing the headlight control switch had no effect. She has been very diligent trying to track down the problem, but has not had any success yet. We are not very good at reading schematics and are not sure if replacing the multipurpose switch should be the next step to try or if there are any other components or connectors to test. Thank you for any help.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
before replacing the multi-function switch make sure fuses F2.4 and F2.10 (low beams) and fuse F2.38 are good.

http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/4-6l-tech/305933-1999-mustang-gt-2001-motor-swap-wont-fire-please-help-post2669271.html#2669271

Sometimes the connector to the multi-function switch will wear and pull out. Also check for wire chaffing where the wire harness bends around the tilt wheel.

OBTW, it's possible to take the multi-function switch apart and clean and re-grease the contacts. Take pictures during the tear down.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Completed repair

Alright!. Thanks for the helpful and quick replies car5car and wmburns. I put the multi-meter on the indicated fuses. They checked out OK. The schematic of the headlight circuit was also a big help. It was much easier to read than what I had. I folllowed the wires under the dash and up the steering column, looking for damaged wiring and disconnects. All checked out OK. At that point, my daughter replaced the multi-switch with full confidence that this would fix the problem. It did!
Thanks again.
Love those Mustangs!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts