Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

My husband is trying to change the pads and rotors out on the rear of my 02 convertible. Basically, he can't get the caliper to fit over the new OR the old rotors once he put the new pads on.

We have used the piston adjustment tool, he says that now he can turn it and turn it, but the piston doesn't go in any further.

Any ideas? My thoughts were:
1) Do they make vented rotors for the rear tires? If so, we're using solid rotors, because I'm pretty sure that's what the original rotor was. It's kind of hard to tell because the original rotors are rusted out really badly. So I'm thinking if it really was a vented rotor, and the solid rotor is thicker, that the caliper won't accept the thicker solid rotor. Make sense?

2) I'm pretty sure my caliper wasn't locked, as my car wasn't making noises or listing to the side, but the inner pad was completely worn (which put a nice gouge in the rotor), while the outer pad didn't look that bad. If the caliper was locked, then could it be causing the problem?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
the rear rotors are solid rotors, and solid rotors are typically thinner than vented rotors. also, the inner pad usually wears faster than the outside pad because it is up against the piston.

are you sure the piston is retracted as far back as it will go?
if it seems stuck, you can try opening the brake line at that caliper and then try compressing & turning the piston back in, just be sure to bleed the brakes afterwards.

·
Registered
140 Posts
if its almost close enough to fit its ok to give it a couple taps with a hammer to get it to slide on. ive found it easier to put on lug nut on to hold the rotor flush against the hub and the caliper slides on easier. also make sure you have the correct brake pads

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, I think I discovered the *final* problem...please forgive me for this description...I think that it's the caliper slider pin...basically, when you remove the caliper from the caliper mount, you have to take a bolt from outside of a rubber-jacketed thingie...the lower rubber-jacketed thingie (caliper slider pin?) WILL not move in. Because it's in its outermost position, I need to compress it to get the caliper to fit over it.

So, what do you guys suggest here? I'm thinking that I could probably break it loose using a c-clamp....but is it just going to get locked up again and ruin my brakes later on down the road?

·
Registered
140 Posts
if you can get it out and clean it very well, and clean inside the hole it goes into... then grease it and it moves freely after that then its ok. if you cant then you need to buy a new caliper that will come with the slide pins and the bracket. if the pin is really bad even if you can get it out and re-grease it it will probably just go bad again. i would get a new caliper anyway.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, I have no plans to buy new calipers. But, just in case...do you know if I can buy a new mounting block without replacing the caliper itself?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.