Ford Mustang Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a month ago the throwout bearing seized in my girlfriends car. I took it to a shop and they put a new clutch kit in. They didnt do anything with the flywheel and I got a little vibration when I released the clutch. Also I noticed that the cover for the clutch fork would not go back on, the fork stuck out about a quarter inch or so too far. Now, a month later and not even 2000 miles into it, I can't put the car in gear with it running, and when I started it in gear to drive it home, the clutch doesn't fully engage. What do you think I'm looking at?? There is about 4 inches of play in the clutch and the cable falls out of the fork. Do you think the fork is just out of place, the bearings bad or the clutch is shot already?? This has been pretty irritating and I'm doing it myself this time as I dont have the money to spend and the shop won't do anything for me. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Your clutch can't be shot by now. It is not difficult to pull the tranny on a 5 speed. I think they mess up the install of the TOB. That is why your fork is not sitting right. You can remove the tranny by the 4 bolts to the bellhousing, not the bell to motor.

Time to get a couple buddies to help you......

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
they dident resurface the flywheel?

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
inorite :headscratch:

inorite :headscratch:

also if they did or dident, was it properly cleaned too?

if they dident resurface it my money would be that.. but who knows

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, after further inspection now that I have it on the lift. The throwout bearing broke in half. What would cause this to happen??? Is there something more that I should replace than the bearing while I am in there?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
Ok, after further inspection now that I have it on the lift. The throwout bearing broke in half. What would cause this to happen??? Is there something more that I should replace than the bearing while I am in there?
did they even replace the throwout bearing ??
maybe they didnt replace the old one, just freed it up.
or maybe that replaced it with a cheap/used one and it has now failed.
if it were me, i would replace just the throwout bearing, assuming they didnt break anything else.

that's too bad the shop won't stand behind their work...come to think of it, if i did work like that i probably wouldnt stand behind it either lol :laugh:

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Alright, everythings apart... I have a few questions about the throwout bearing if anyone can help me out it would be greatly appreciated. It pretty much explains it in the picture

Attachments

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
thats pretty crappy they dident resurface it, while im in there, i would go have it blanched ( resurfaced )

then clean it with some brake parts cleaner.

the slightest warp or heat transfer can kill a clutch.

any shop is worthless if they dont take the 3 minutes to hook it up to the machine and walk away.....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, the more I read of the little information I can find I'm assuming that the fork is supposed to stay locked on to the pivot ball. This one doesnt, is there a fix for it or do I need to get a new fork??

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
did they even replace the throwout bearing ??
maybe they didnt replace the old one, just freed it up.
or maybe that replaced it with a cheap/used one and it has now failed.
if it were me, i would replace just the throwout bearing, assuming they didnt break anything else.

that's too bad the shop won't stand behind their work...come to think of it, if i did work like that i probably wouldnt stand behind it either lol :laugh:

It was a perfection clutch from advance, nothing spectacular and they said they replaced the bearing, I know it was seized... but I wasnt there to see them do it so I can't say for sure.

·
Registered
8,348 Posts
Your TOB should be held in there by clips, and the pivot point should just snap in there.......

You can "technically" adjust it with a hammer or channel locks to make it stay in there. These are not like the old 2.3's where the bellhousing and the fork are one piece. Ours can be removed, so it look like whoever did it just rushed through the job. That is why your TOB is screwed up. I would double check clutch alignment while you have everything apart......

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your TOB should be held in there by clips, and the pivot point should just snap in there.......

You can "technically" adjust it with a hammer or channel locks to make it stay in there. These are not like the old 2.3's where the bellhousing and the fork are one piece. Ours can be removed, so it look like whoever did it just rushed through the job. That is why your TOB is screwed up. I would double check clutch alignment while you have everything apart......
I definitely pulled the clutch off to check everything, had to resurface the flywheel anyway. Guess I'll pound the clips on the fork together and throw it back together after work. Thanks for all the info.

·
Banned
9,216 Posts
I definitely pulled the clutch off to check everything, had to resurface the flywheel anyway. Guess I'll pound the clips on the fork together and throw it back together after work. Thanks for all the info.

dont forget to clean it with brake parts cleaner!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.