Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car is a manual 5 speed. normally i drive 50mph in 5th gear and keep the rpm at 1500. But im affraid im lugging it. whats a good rpm to keep at to save gas?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Its not so much a good RPM to save gas, but rather your driving habits. Variations in speed and constant stop and go burns gas quicker (the reason auto manufacturers give you HWY MPG and City MPG). A way to save gas is to have good driving methods and ensure you keep your vehicle maintenance up,i.e. tune up, oil change, Tires and tire pressure. Also running the a/c burns gas!

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
my auto goes into overdrive (4th gear which is pretty much the same as your 5th gear) at like 40.. so it should be fine..

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I don't ever use 5th unless I go 55 or more.

If its a flat road with no major variations to where you wouldn't have to give it more gas, then its probably ok, but if you have some hills or turns, I think having it in 5th at 50 mph is gonna hurt mpg because you will be in the throttle trying to maintain that speed.

If you drive like I do, where I am constantly changing speed, stopping, in traffic, etc. then it will probably get crap mpg, I think I'm doing 19 at best right now. But when I drive out to Cali. I set the cruise at 75 and always return 30+ mpg.

·
Banned
7,170 Posts
Its not so much a good RPM to save gas, but rather your driving habits. Variations in speed and constant stop and go burns gas quicker (the reason auto manufacturers give you HWY MPG and City MPG). A way to save gas is to have good driving methods and ensure you keep your vehicle maintenance up,i.e. tune up, oil change, Tires and tire pressure. :worshipAMEN! people do not relise how much bad driving effects milage.

·
Registered
6,158 Posts
economy tune doesn't save you any more gas than a race tune would. driving like an old man is relaxing to me, acting like i have nowhere to be saves a whole lot of frustration when dealing with all the retarded drivers out there

·
Registered
3,775 Posts
I get better mileage on my 93 race tune than my 87 street tune, think of it like this: the more efficient the tune is the better the mileage that can be achieved, a race tune squeezes out all the performance it can, a street tune is meant to be more subtle with less focus on improvement

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
yeah i just got a sct tuner gonna see if it helps! also im gonna drive slower and accelerate slow ! thanks guys

·
Registered
132 Posts
Accelerating TOO slow can be bad aswell. Along with driving slow.

55-60 mph is optimum speed for gas mileage. Anything above or below will get you worse gas mileage, as you go down/up.

In my 2001 V6 5 speed, with dual exhaust, no other mods. I average 21mpg city and 26mpg hwy. I drive casually, not speeding everywhere, or slamming on my brakes at the last second, but I accelerate moderately to reach the speed limit in a timely manner.

The whole driving like a grandma thing will get you horrible gas mileage. Just go the speed limit, but in say 30mph zones try to go 40mph. It will help that little extra bit. And if you hit a hill DO NOT try to go up it in 5 gear, you will burn alot more gas than in 4th gear.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Not so much mph. Its where the least amount of load is placed on the car.

In 5th [email protected] 55 mph, most elevation changes are going to require a little more gas, and at that rpm, the motor is going to work.

I pulled down my best of 35 doing between 70 and 75.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts