Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Probably a stupid question but why is it when I'm wanting to accelerate quickly, for instance Interstate driving, lane changing and just flat out hot dogging it. My car will kinda like hesitate, bog down for a second then RPM's jump up from 2 to 3.5 then shift normally after that? Seems like it's a delayed response, I've read about this from other places and evidently this is common for 3.8's? Has anyone came across this?
I can make a video if someone would be interested at taking a guess? Thanks.

·
2,805 Posts
Video would certainly help. Is your car automatic or manual? If auto could the trans be slipping?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Video would certainly help. Is your car automatic or manual? If auto could the trans be slipping?
Cool, I will make a video tonight and it's an automatic. I hope it isn't the transmission but it's a 2002 so I wouldn't be surprised. I used the "Search Community" last night and several posts came up very similar to my issue and most of the responses was something about getting a tune to fix the governor/factory restriction or something like that.

·
Super Moderator
1,630 Posts
most of the responses was something about getting a tune to fix the governor/factory restriction or something like that.
That tune would be my guess too, but it’s best to have it checked out before tuning.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That tune would be my guess too, but it’s best to have it checked out before tuning.
Good point, is there a particular test a garage would do or is there a way I could test this?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
02 Mustang Round1Alright here is the video of round 1 I just shot, hopefully you can get a feel for what I'm talking about. Oddly enough it didn't do it as hard as it normally does. I checked my transmission fluid before I shot this video and noticed it was low and added what it needed. Out of nowhere right as I began to film the car went into a really rough idle at a stop sign, revs a few times then died. I started it back and then I shot the clips. After getting into my driveway the check engine light came on and it was P0340 Camshaft sensor, I was like WTH? I just fixed P1518 IMRC stuck open(replaced 2 tiny bushings). Furthermore let me know if I need to take a better video, once again thanks dude.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
02 Mustang Round1Alright here is the video of round 1 I just shot, hopefully you can get a feel for what I'm talking about. Oddly enough it didn't do it as hard as it normally does. I checked my transmission fluid before I shot this video and noticed it was low and added what it needed. Out of nowhere right as I began to film the car went into a really rough idle at a stop sign, revs a few times then died. I started it back and then I shot the clips. After getting into my driveway the check engine light came on and it was P0340 Camshaft sensor, I was like WTH? I just fixed P1518 IMRC stuck open(replaced 2 tiny bushings). Furthermore let me know if I need to take a better video, once again thanks dude.
Here are the other 2 videos, sorry my first time uploading.02 Mustang Round2 02 Mustang Round3

·
2,805 Posts
Good point, is there a particular test a garage would do or is there a way I could test this?
Could be a tune issue. Are you stock or what mods do you have?

I will say I had a auto 2003 GT and it would jump kinda like you are explaining, but not quite like you are saying as it didn't shoot the RPM's like that or at least I don't remember that, but I certainly remember it having a jolt when I would drive it like you are saying. Never looked into it as I ended up selling it about only 60 days after buying as a family member sold me their 06 GT so I never tracked the issue down. It was a low mileage GT as well like around 80K miles maybe. I figured could be a tune issue as the person I bought from had tinkered what I thought was lightly, but later started wondering...

Not sure what shops around you. VMP isn't too far from you and I have heard lots of good things about them. Before Covid and the economy and my job took a hit I was looking at going down to VMP and swapping my supercharger out for a VMP blower and tune and all... That will have to wait for a couple years now...

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No tunes that I know of and the only mod is the CAI but this "jolt" as you said is a better way to explain it. It did this way before the CAI along with a weird idle surge that stopped happening after I had the fuel pump replaced. I've replaced over 20 factory parts since 2017(10 in the last 3 months alone)for the hope of one day getting it prepared for mods like I'm doing now . I'm replacing the fuel filter and a couple of other emissions related parts in the coming weeks. There is several performance shops in the Tampa Bay area but I have been hesitant about taking it in because it is a v6 3.8 and might get laughed out of the place. I don't know much about dynos,tunes and that stuff but I have been reading about it and watching a lot of videos. I'm picking out a Bama tuner for the latest "big " mod(birthday gift) this coming week and feel pretty good about it fixing this jolt. What does VMP stand for or do you know if it's in the Tampa Bay area?

·
2,805 Posts
Was your intake a no tune required intake? If so all good, but if not it could cause rough idling and running. Though this doesn't sound like the cause of our discussion. I imagine it has to do with your old auto trans. I would start by changing the trans fluid and see if that helps. Do NOT flush it, but rather just drain and fill. Flushing and old transmission risks causing more problems than it is worth.

Don't feel bad these days most performance shops laugh at even the 2005-2010 4.6 GT's these days as old outdated engines... Most shops say not worth the time and get a 5.0. I am speaking form actual experience when I was calling shops considering supercharging my last 06 GT... Not to bash your V6 as I have had V6's before, but any reason for putting money into modding the V6 rather than picking up a new edge GT or a newer GT? Just curious.

VMP Performance and they are at 170 South SR 415, New Smyrna Beach, FL 32168.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited by Moderator)
The CAI didn't require a tune and I have always heard that also not to flush the tranny fluid. I'm starting to think it's some emissions problem , I've been replacing vacuum tubing little by little and yesterday my check fuel cap came on again and threw these codes(see attachment below), also I took a 25 mile ride yesterday to get some statistics from my wireless obd2 reader and man my numbers are all over the place. I am trying to make a excel spreadsheet showing the details I took 20 reports yesterday and I attached one below. I'm going to get the transmission fluid changed today because I agree that is part of the problem also. On putting money into the V6 I feel it would be cool to have a powerful V6 like a super six and been really considering a coyote motor or some kind of major motor. Everyone seems to have a V8 or something like that I want to make it as unique/rare as possible. I checked out VMP website and it is awesome.
Screenshot_20200803-121755_HT200.jpg Screenshot_20200801-182917_HT200.jpg

·
2,805 Posts
The CAI didn't require a tune and I have always heard that also not to flush the tranny fluid. I'm starting to think it's some emissions problem , I've been replacing vacuum tubing little by little and yesterday my check fuel cap came on again and threw these codes(see attachment below), also I took a 25 mile ride yesterday to get some statistics from my wireless obd2 reader and man my numbers are all over the place. I am trying to make a excel spreadsheet showing the details I took 20 reports yesterday and I attached one below. I'm going to get the transmission fluid changed today because I agree that is part of the problem also. On putting money into the V6 I feel it would be cool to have a powerful V6 like a super six and been really considering a coyote motor or some kind of major motor. Everyone seems to have a V8 or something like that I want to make it as unique/rare as possible. I checked out VMP website and it is awesome.
View attachment 777459 View attachment 777460
I say all of what I am about to say as friendly friend. I all about having a unique and rare car, BUT that said just know resale on any modded car is rarely anything close to what you put into and I think that will only be magnified on a V6 platform as most people steer clear of the V6's when they are looking for performance so a modded V6 won't have the mass appeal. The new edges have gotten so cheap even for the GT. There is little price difference between a V6 and GT these days in that body style so it further amplifies this. If you love your current car and just want to enjoy building it go for it, BUT if you want bang for buck it might be time to jump on the V8 train. Just my thoughts from being in your shoes and having many Mustangs of all different sorts over the years. See my signature if their is one car I know it is Mustangs. haha

Reactions: crjackson

·
Super Moderator
1,630 Posts
Take it to a shop... You need to isolate if it's the engine or transmission. I personally couldn't tell anything from the videos.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I say all of what I am about to say as friendly friend. I all about having a unique and rare car, BUT that said just know resale on any modded car is rarely anything close to what you put into and I think that will only be magnified on a V6 platform as most people steer clear of the V6's when they are looking for performance so a modded V6 won't have the mass appeal. The new edges have gotten so cheap even for the GT. There is little price difference between a V6 and GT these days in that body style so it further amplifies this. If you love your current car and just want to enjoy building it go for it, BUT if you want bang for buck it might be time to jump on the V8 train. Just my thoughts from being in your shoes and having many Mustangs of all different sorts over the years. See my signature if their is one car I know it is Mustangs. haha
Thanks I appreciate the advice and I totally get the V8 is the better route. There has always been something special about a GT, it's possibilities. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti V8 at all, I love it and with this V6 I want to do more than just some mods ya know. I'm starting out doing this as I get my feel for this basically new hobby of mine. I'm really into these coyote engines and within the next 12-16 months I'll put one into this old new edge. I think it would be a really fun journey to do a overhaul like this. My childhood friend back home in East Tennessee took a really rusty dodge charger frame 79-85 and built it up from the floor up to a exact replica of the General Lee. Given his father was a mechanic and it took 2 years to do it is something I've always wanted to do. The comparison of the two cars is very different but the same goal behind it and by no means am I qualified to do a major project like this on my own. Starting with this V6 and it being my first mustang and plan on keeping it then eventually I will get a GT next lol.

·
2,805 Posts
Thanks I appreciate the advice and I totally get the V8 is the better route. There has always been something special about a GT, it's possibilities. Don't get me wrong I'm not anti V8 at all, I love it and with this V6 I want to do more than just some mods ya know. I'm starting out doing this as I get my feel for this basically new hobby of mine. I'm really into these coyote engines and within the next 12-16 months I'll put one into this old new edge. I think it would be a really fun journey to do a overhaul like this. My childhood friend back home in East Tennessee took a really rusty dodge charger frame 79-85 and built it up from the floor up to a exact replica of the General Lee. Given his father was a mechanic and it took 2 years to do it is something I've always wanted to do. The comparison of the two cars is very different but the same goal behind it and by no means am I qualified to do a major project like this on my own. Starting with this V6 and it being my first mustang and plan on keeping it then eventually I will get a GT next lol.
There is a thread on here with somebody talking about do a V8 swap into a V6. You should read the comments on it. That used to be a go to, but really they are killing the fun of modding cars these days as every couple years it seems like they all but double the HP. I mean the next gen V6 is as quick as the last gen V8 and it is crazy! I mean 500hp was like a dream 10 or so years ago and now cars come with almost that stock. I mean the 2020 GT comes with almost what 480hp stock? 10 years ago you had to supercharger a car just to get 480hp. haha

1 - 16 of 16 Posts