Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2002 V6 3.8L Mustang convertible. approx. 89,000 miles. For a couple of years I have heard a low rumble from the front wheel area that is most noticeable at low speeds. It appears to change with the speed of the car. (at rest no rumble). (It doesn't seem to come from just the left side or right side only.) I thought it might be just tire noise, however the Tires look in pretty good shape but now I am wondering if my front wheel bearings might be shot. What do I look for to see that they are shot? If they are How big of a repair job is it? could I do it myself? Any special tools? Anyone document the repair on line anywhere with pictures?

Thanks,

·
Registered
304 Posts
usually you can hear the wheel bearings groan or howl when you are at higher speeds.. its a very distinctive noise, a droaning howl is how i would describe it.. also if your left bearing is bad, when you turn right you would hear it more then turning left and vice versa. that is because when taking a right, your left wheel is the outside wheel and has alot more weight and stress put onto it.. (turning left-right wheel).

also if you jack up your front wheels and shake the tire you will be able to feel play in the front end if you have a bad wheel bearing (in most cases) there are other parts in the front end that could be loose, so if you have play it may not be the bearing but its definitely good to check if there is any play.. get someone to shake the wheel while you look.. you would see movement in the bearing area like the rotor moving around when the wheel was shaking

as for doing it yourself.. if your are comfortable with doing brakes then i would say you should be fine with the bearing.. you would have to remove the brakes completely, rotor off. remove the ABS sensor (CAREFULLY) and loosen the big nut in the center of the hub. then wiggle and pull the old bearing off (or slide hammer haha) and slide the new one on the spindle.. replace the nut and torque it to spec.. i know it goes really tight. i think the range was something like 220-295 lb/ft of torque.. very important to torque it.. you'll need a large breaker bar (or a 1/2 inch impact gun) to remove the nut.. i may have left something out but thats the general idea of the job.. i've done tons at work on many different kinds of cars and these are definitely one of the easiest ones..

now if this was a FWD import needing bearings then i'd say take it to a shop and let them press it out.. def not a driveway job! haha i hated those when i first started doing them.. after about 100 they've become pretty routine though! good luck, hopefully its just tire noise

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey thanks for the reply! A groaning Howl seems to describe what I hear. I do hear it going in a straight direction, I did not check if it is more noticeable turning left or right.

I am pretty comfortable doing brakes, so this sounds like it is not too bad. I don't have an impact wrench, but I do have a breaker bar (3 foot 1 inch dia pipe) that works pretty well....

This is a rear wheel drive car, so all I need is to find out the torque spec for that Nut, and make sure I have a torque wrench that goes that high, (I might get a loaner from Auto Zone). Any one know how I can find out that torque?

You did not mention grease, so I assume that this bearing already is packed with grease?

Thanks again!!!

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Im replacing all my front and rear bushings, with the addition of front wheel bearings since the rear were changed with the tlok. Everthing ive found says the front wheels are sealed units. you have to replace the whole spindle. which includes the lower contole arm, strut, spring, tie rod ends.

·
Registered
144 Posts
. Everthing ive found says the front wheels are sealed units. you have to replace the whole spindle. which includes the lower contole arm, strut, spring, tie rod ends.
I've never heard of that and i had changed a lot of them and it comes as a hub assembly all you have to do is unbolt the big nut in the center and it should just slide off fariely easiely

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
the rear are like trailers where you could knock the bearings out with a slide hammer but fronts are now coming as a sealed unit... maybe im looking to far into it.......

Edit: i ment remove the tie rods ect.... becasue they dont want you putting a new bearing on an old place of wear on the spindle.

i very well could be wrong since i havent baught them yet. or replace. thanks for the imput

1 - 6 of 6 Posts