Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car was stuck in park, and I found out (nutshell version) that my brake lights aren't working. I've been sleeping in my car at work, so I figured I probably just kicked a wire loose. On inspecting the actual brake pedal, I noticed that there is a switch connected to it with a mostly red wire (smaller green stripe) and a mostly green wire (smaller red stripe), and that the green wire is currently not attached to anything, while the red wire is attached to the backside of the switch. Can anyone show me a diagram of or tell me exactly where do I need to re-attach the mostly green wire?

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
sounds like you pulled the wire out of the pin, unplug the brakelamp switch, look at the connector to see where the the wire came apart.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the reply. I've been messing around with it off and on all day, and I've thrown together a sketch in MSPaint that shows roughly the area of interest:

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/5751/brakes.png

The blue areas in the picture are where there appear to be connectors for the switch. I removed the black plastic casing around the metal leads for the switch and tried to tape the green wire back into place (hoping contact between the wires was maintained) but no luck. I still couldn't shift out of park (and break lights still don't turn on). Assuming I'm actually messing around with the correct components, it's possible the tape job I did wasn't good enough. I'd like to avoid soldering those parts, since I can't take the casing indoors without detaching the red wire that's already in place.

I'm taking the car in tomorrow morning if I can't find a way to fix it myself (seems silly to pay someone else to reconnect a wire), but I'm also hesitant about doing too much, for fear of breaking something that isn't already broken.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.