Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I need some help here troubleshooting an issue I'm having. I've got a 2002 6-cylinder (automatic) convertible with 48k miles on it. When I start the car, it usually idles between 1000-1500 rpm regardless of engine temp and outside temp. Occasionally it will dip back down closer to a normal engine idle. When I hit the gas, its responsive and then the engine speed drops but only as low as the idle speed it was previously at. This is causing issues when switching out of park because the car will larch when the tranny engages and i suspect is contributing to lower gas mileage.

Like I said, this happens regardless of whether the engine is hot or not. When I apply extra load to the engine via the A/C, the idle will drop a little bit. A mechanically inclined friend of mine suggested that it is likely a faulty idle air control valve. However, from what I hear, they like to be loud and noisy when they're going bad. Normally, I'd grab a new one, slap it in and see if it fixes the problem but no one in my area has one and to get one from the local auto store is $110 plus a few business days shipping.

The car has had a complete tune up ~10k miles ago (new plugs, wires, cleaned sensors, filters, etc...) Any ideas on what could cause this/how to test for issues? Thanks guys!!!

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
1 - 2 of 2 Posts