Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've done a bit of research and found that on my v6 if I want a deeper sound I need to throw on flowmaster 40's or 44's, but which? And i'm leaning towards the cheaper single vs. the true dual, but will this still give me decent sound? I have a AmericanMuscle CAI coming, but as of now I'm 100% stock under the hood. Just got the car and I'm only 16, my budget is in the 150's range.

Thanks for helpin a new Mustang driver out!

·
Registered
21 Posts
in the same boat man, im 17 just got this 99 3.8v6 stang. i used to drive a lifted toyota, my buddies got a 97 with 2.5" exhaust welded from the cats back to 2 thrush turbo mufflers, (true duals) cost him about 70$ for piping, 30$ a pop for mufflers, and 10$ a pop for 3" chrome tips, we welded it all together in his yard with 2 drive up ramps, sounds almost identical to a toyota supra. its honestly not hard to do an exhaust, most of our problem was finding someone to bend the pipe, went to our local muffler shop, they put it up on the lift, bent the piping as it needed to be bent for 20$ and sent us on our way.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How'd the $30 thrushes treat you? Never really looked into it. You just cut it at the y where it's still 2.5" right?

R

·
0 Posts
I personally would not suggest Thrush mufflers. The metal they are made from is junk and they leak at the seams and welds. You are better off paying a little more for quality pieces that won't have to be replaced on a yearly basis.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, but even if I don't use Thrush, can a single system sound loud without converting to true dual or an h? I'm not talking wake the neighbors loud, just enough to get rid of the "girl version" stereotype.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Eh, on this point I'm thinking you get what you paid for. Prolly going to go with flowmaster, but what's the dif between the 40 and the 44's?

R

·
0 Posts
Eh, on this point I'm thinking you get what you paid for. Prolly going to go with flowmaster, but what's the dif between the 40 and the 44's?
The 44's have a smaller case.
They are bit louder because of that.

·
Registered
156 Posts
A single 40 or 44 will give you a little extra growl.

YouTube - ‪Mustang 2000 V6 Single Flowmaster Original 40‬‏]
Mine sounds better than that I think. I'll try to post a video tomorrow, now that we finally have some nice weather up here.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i have the AM CAI and a single 40 series flowmaster muffler on my 2000 v6 Psycho and it sounds nice. you here it pulling away for sure. it is well worth the money. Saying this id rather dual exhaust but im 17 also and bought my stang when i was 16 and i needed a new muffler so i threw that on and i love it. No complaints

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm in exactly the same scenario Gold. Thanks, I think I'm gonna go with the 40 when I get it put in. Just gonna stick with single for now, less labor and money.

My thanks to you guys

·
Registered
241 Posts
seriously I wont waste my money on the thrush mufflers ? I have the pacesetter H-pipe and dual flowmaster 10's and a CAI it sounds unbelievable it really does fool you for a V8and actually sounds better, louder, deeper than a stock GT.....to weld onto the y-pipe its gona sound like a nasty V6. trust me a friend of mine is running a single flowmaster super 10 and stock y-pipe it does sound nice when reving parked but under load it sounds like a Toyota truck with flowmasters...save your money and do an h-pipe and dual 10s

1 - 16 of 16 Posts