Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '02 that I recently bought needs to have an element of the wiper system replaced. I'm not sure if it's the motor or the switch, but here's the problem. The wipers only work on the two very last speeds, the slow and fast. They also don't recess when you turn the switch away from these two, and the blades just stop where they were. What exactly do I need to replace? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Very interesting problem. A real puzzle.

The one common component is the GEM. However, I could also see this being two failures. For example, the run/park relay (or associated wiring) AND the multi-function switch.

I have attached the wiring diagram for your review. However, expect this problem to need detailed tests to narrow down where the problem is.

Do you have a Volt-Ohm meter (VOM) and are you willing to use it?

Regardless, it would be a good idea to inspect under the dash for evidence of rodent/water damage or "other" modifications.

Check ground G204 located behind the dash center section. This ground is shared with multiple components including the radio. G404 is frequently messed up during a radio install.

There are two relays associated with the wippers. Relays are cheap enough that if you wanted to just "try" someone, replace the run/park relay. Would also be handy to know if the run/park relay is changing states (listen for the relay to click when the wippers are turned off).

The GEM is a small computer and has a set of diagnostic codes all of it's own. However, it does take a specialized dealer scan tool to access.

Attachments

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I do have a meter, and it has an aftermarket stereo so maybe that has something to do with it.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
Post up the results of the tests already called for and will go from there.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts