Ford Mustang Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I drive an 02 V6 Auto Mustang and a couple months ago I tried to turn on my wipers and got no response. I have replaced the motor and checked all fuses and relays multiple time but the wipers still don't work. I checked the wires an there seems to be power going to the switch and from the switch to the motor, and the continuity on the switch seems fine.The only thing that changed between when my wipers worked and didn't is that I switched the driver and passangers window switches in the drivers side door because the drivers switch did not work, but I do not think this would effect the wipers. It is that time of year that where I live in Missouri we are starting to get a lot of rain and I would like to be able to drive when it rains. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
IF we assume
  • that fuse F2.26 has power coming in and the fuse itself is good (do the washers work?)
  • that the wiper motor is good.
  • the wiper relays are good

Then the problem may be:
  • Bad ground G400
  • bad GEM ground behind center console
  • bad multi-function switch
  • bad GEM
  • general wiring fault.

There are a lot of possible failure points in the wiper system. I personally wouldn't start trouble shooting without a set of wiring diagrams. Further because of the way the multi-function switch and the GEM "talk" to each other an accurate Volt-Ohm meter is going to be needed to confirm the resisters in the multi-function switch.

If interested in getting a copy for yourself I may be able to help. PM if interested.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Still doesn't work

I replaced the GEM and the multifunction switch, and rechecked all the relays and fuses and my wipers still don't work.

Pretty Much everything else on my car works but not being able to drive in the rain sucks.

I checked to see if there was power coming to the terminals in the multifunction switch that control the wipers and got nothing.

Is there a different way to check or did I do the right thing?
Does this mean my problem is a bad wire?

I also read about the wiper control module.
Where is this located on an 02 mustang?
Could this be my problem?
Is there a way to test if this is working?

Are there any other ideas on how to fix this or should I just hardwire a toggle switch to turn my wipers on high when needed?

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
I hate to break this to you but the "wiper control module" is the GEM.

Is there key on voltage in Fuse F2.26?

You did not answer the question about if the washers work. Do the washers work?

Unlikely you will find power going to the multi-function switch. It's an electronic control with a series of resisters. The value of the resisters tell the GEM what to do.

There are a series of step by step pinpoint tests in the Ford Service manual to trouble shoot wiper problems.

>>
Symptom chart: The wipers are inoperative

CJB Fuse 26 (30A).
Ignition switch.
Circuitry.
GEM.
Multifunction switch (13K359).
Wiper ON/OFF relay.
Wiper HIGH/LOW relay.
Wiper motor.

GO to Pinpoint Test B .

·
Registered
6,859 Posts
For the following test, use a known good ground.

What happens if you ground Washer relay #1 (TN/RD) with the key on? Should run the washers.

What happens if you ground the GEM #6(TN/RD) wire with the key on? Do the washers work?

·
Registered
253 Posts
What is GEM?
You need:
wiring diagram (service manual)
multi tester ($5 from Harbor freight)
control light ($3)
parts locator (service manual)
If you don't have the diagram, ask, maybe somebody will post it here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts