Ford Mustang Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

2003-2004 Mustang Cobra to 1999 Mustang Cobra drivetrain swap.

1K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  410cougar 
#1 ·
Hi folks, I'm new to the forum so please work with me. I've got a 99 cobra convertable that I would like to put a 03-04 cobra drive train into, or I think. From what I've read the 99 cobra's power plants are not nearly as strong as the 03-04. Can the 99 block/drivetrain be built to handle over 500 rwhp or should I scrap it and buy an entire drivetrain from an 03-04 cobra, and if so how difficult of a mission am I looking at?

Thanks

#2 ·
Swap

As for swapping in the 03-04, its a doable swap, but it involves more than just the motor. To do it right, you'll need the the tranny, rear end, computer and harness from the donor car. Even so, 500hp will be a strain on that 03-04 IRS if you plan to campaign the car at the drag strip. If that is the goal, the best route might be to plug in a regular 8.8 built with the goods to withstand the load.

You COULD just install the motor and computer, and baby it to avoid breaking the 99 tranny and rear, but what fun is that?

Check our Cobra forums for more information about this sort of swap.

The 99 drivetrain is a good one that can also be upgraded as is, of course, but the Tranny and IRS are still the weak link after you add a bunch of additional torque. And the IRS is known to start tossing shafts in the middle of the shock of a hard launch with sticky tires at the drag strip.

This is also a rather costly route.

Your 99 Cobra has a pretty good resale value last time I checked - have you considered just selling it and buying a 03-04 Cobra?

I suspect the difference inprice would be less than the cost to do the swap properly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.